Theremino PMT adaptor board?

Gamma spectacular, theremino adapters, non-sound card based, etc...
jbeale

Theremino PMT adaptor board?

Post by jbeale » 26 Jan 2024, 07:41

I'm curious if anything resembling the “PmtAudioAdapter – New version” board described at the theremino.com website under schematics#pmtaudioadapter
is available assembled from any source? The page links to what may be a personal email address for "Lello" but I was wondering if there was some online page,
such as the Open Gamma Detector board available for order as an assembly from tindie.com

The PmtAudioAdapter board looks interesting, but possibly time-consuming to construct, if there was any way to buy it already made. The page shows some images but I did not see the actual PCB design files available online.

It looks like a very similar design was the subject of a Kickstarter project in 2019 named "1767748553/photomultiplier-tube-usb-adapter-for-gamma-spectroscopy", but I found no indication that project continued beyond that one year.
John Beale | Portland Oregon, USA | www.bealecorner.com

jbeale

Re: Theremino PMT adaptor board?

Post by jbeale » 26 Jan 2024, 07:57

Update: it appears a different, but similar board is in fact available from rhelectronics.store being titled
"usb-spectrometry-adapter-driver-for-hobby-gamma-spectroscopy-with-high-voltage-and-adc"

however for some reason it is limited to 900 V output, and does not reach 1 kV.

iRad

Post by iRad » 26 Jan 2024, 09:16

Hi John - I'm guessing you are already aware of the GammaSpectacular GS-Pro. It is very similar as you described "anything resembling the “PmtAudioAdapter – New version” board ... available assembled from any source...", only it is a much better product and very much improved over the Theremino adapters. It will also drive PMTs well over 1000 volts and voltage dividers with much lower value resistor networks. This makes the GS board usable with a much greater variety of available probes.
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

jbeale

Post by jbeale » 26 Jan 2024, 10:11

> GammaSpectacular GS-Pro

I do see that the GS-PRO-V5 looks like a very good product. As my own spectroscopy interest is strictly a personal hobby, I was starting my hardware search at a lower price point.

NuclearPhoenix

Post by NuclearPhoenix » 26 Jan 2024, 22:25

jbeale wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 07:41
I'm curious if anything resembling the “PmtAudioAdapter – New version” board described at the theremino.com website under schematics#pmtaudioadapter
is available assembled from any source? The page links to what may be a personal email address for "Lello"
Hi John,

to me it does look like the files are indeed only available if you send him an email.
Honestly, I'd just ask him straightaway if he can assemble one for you and what that would cost.
They're very nice folks, so I'm sure you can figure something out.
iRad wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 09:16
It will also drive PMTs well over 1000 volts and voltage dividers with much lower value resistor networks.
The new Theremino PMT adapter can also supply up to 1800 Volts. Not sure at what power, though. The information is pretty rare or at least scattered on their site. I always found that their website is quite confusing with the way they present their projects and information.

jbeale

Post by jbeale » 31 Jan 2024, 10:29

> Honestly, I'd just ask him straightaway if he can assemble one for you and what that would cost.

Thank you for the suggestion. The Theremino website looked a little bit 1990s style and I didn't know if the link was current or not. However Lello replied quickly to an email and was able to offer the assembled board. Not entirely cheap, but for me a decent value given the other options I'm aware of. I look forward to seeing how it works out.