Noisy mono jack cables..

Gamma spectacular, theremino adapters, non-sound card based, etc...
Steven Sesselmann

Noisy mono jack cables..

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 16 Sep 2017, 18:56

Attention GS-1100A and GS-1100-PRO owners,

Out of curiosity I decided to test the 50 cm mono jack cables with gold plated ends that I have been shipping with the GS drivers lately. I recently changed supplier of these cables but never actually tested them, they looked fine so I assumed they were shielded.

On my testing bench I have always been using a homemade cable with two mono jacks soldered to an RG174U coaxial cable, and I never had an issue with it.

Here is a picture of the commercial mono jack cable with moulded ends supplied recently.
cable.JPG
Jack to Jack cable
Here is a picture of my oscilloscope screen set to maximum 5 mV resolution, and its easy to see the noise spanning across 10 mV.
noise.JPG
Cable with gold plated ends
Here on the other hand is the same setup with a hand made RG174U cable, and as we can see the noise is no more than around 1-2 mV.
shielded.JPG
RG174 Coaxial cable
Obviously the rest of these cables are immediately going in the trash, but if any of you guys out there are still using one of these cables, I suggest replacing it with a new properly shielded cable.

Once I find a good replacement cable I would be happy to post out a replacement cable to anyone who wants one.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

MartinM

Re: Noisy mono jack cables..

Post by MartinM » 18 Sep 2017, 03:59

That cable looks same as mine, shipped with GSB-2020 in May-2016. Is it possible that I got it (don't have a scope to verify) ?
Martin Malik, http://www.hwinfo.com

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 18 Sep 2017, 07:33

Martin,

Yep, the chances are it's one of the fake cables, and you should replace it with a good one.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would manufacture unshielded audio cables but obviously some manufacturer saw the opportunity to save a few cents.

I am happy to hand make a new cable for you and post it out, but ultimately I have to order batch of good cables, so I can post out replacements.

Otherwise any reputable electronics/audio store should sell shielded mono jack cables for no more than $10 - $20

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

MartinM

Post by MartinM » 19 Sep 2017, 00:25

Thanks for your offer Steven, but I believe the shipping costs would be higher that the cable :)
I have already ordered one, though not sure how good it will be and whether it's shielded: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHORT-50cm-Mi ... 2749.l2649
Martin Malik, http://www.hwinfo.com

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 19 Sep 2017, 09:01

Martin,

Considering the low price, it might have been wise to order two cables, one to cut open and check the shielding.

This week I should be getting some cable samples for testing.

Steven