GS-PRO' potentiometer

Gamma spectacular, theremino adapters, non-sound card based, etc...
pilgrim

GS-PRO' potentiometer

Post by pilgrim » 25 Feb 2018, 21:48

Hi all,
a simple question about the GS-PRO.
When I plug the driver to the probe, is it better to start from 0V and raise the voltage till the correct value, or is it possible to leave the voltage settings as the last use?
Idem when I unplug the probe : is it necessary to lower the voltage until 0V or is it possible to unplug straightly?
I ask this because I wonder if turn the trimmer pot many times every time I use it, could break or damage it.
I'm used to "work" at 870 ÷ 900 V.

Thank you
Daniel, Italy

Steven Sesselmann

Re: GS-PRO' potentiometer

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 26 Feb 2018, 11:19

Daniel,

You can safely leave the potentiometer at the voltage best for your detector. Your PMT will not be damaged by hot plugging the connector while at high voltage. If you are concerned about this you can unplug the USB power before connecting the detector, but really nothing to worry about.

The 1K trimmer potentiometer doesn't directly control the high voltage, it only adjusts the low voltage side of an opamp, which in turn controls the input voltage on the inverter from 0-5 Volt.

So if you always use the same detector, you never have to adjust the trimmer potentiometer, this is the main reason why I chose to use a potentiometer without a finger knob.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

pilgrim

Re: GS-PRO' potentiometer

Post by pilgrim » 26 Feb 2018, 15:22

Excellent!
Thank you Steven.
Daniel, Italy