Detecting Neutrons w/o Neutron Detector...

Discussions about radiation-related science
luuk

Re: Detecting Neutrons w/o Neutron Detector...

Post by luuk » 11 Feb 2017, 19:46

Geoff,
I did a simple test with our neutron source outside and a 3x3" NaI(Tl) in the lead castle.
Could only see them when the source was not moderated so fast neutrons coming out.
There are some peaks to see but I am not sure what it is, I expect that the neutrons have interaction with the shielding inside the leadcastle e.g. copper or perspex

Shall see if I can mke some pictures about it.
Luuk

lodovico

Post by lodovico » 12 Feb 2017, 01:47

Hello,
what do you think about this neutron detector : http://physicsopenlab.org/2017/01/30/neutron-detector/
In your opinion am I detecting true cosmic neutrons or only spurious pulses or background radiation ?
Thank you
Lodovico

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 12 Feb 2017, 19:01

Lodovico,

You are detecting neutrons, your preamplifier is essentially the same as the I developed for these tubes.

http://www.gammaspectacular.com/gamma-s ... eutron-pcb

I have been making detectors with SNM-12 tubes and they run at about 8-12 cph. I also brought one of my complete detectors with moderator to University of Sydney and did some counts with their neutron source and the SNM-12 efficiency works out to around 15%

These Russian tubes are tricky, because they are quite noisy and the pulse is quite small so the comparator is definitely the way to go. I ended up using a Schmidt trigger circuit which also works well.

Below is a screen shot of a GS-Neutron I tested last week (Background counts only - about 12 cph)

GS-Neutron Test
GS-Neutron Test
GS-Neutron(1001).png (171.24 KiB) Viewed 4154 times

lodovico

Post by lodovico » 13 Feb 2017, 01:37

Thank you Steven for your reply !