tritium

Discussions about radiation-related science
sschrammel

tritium

Post by sschrammel » 11 May 2017, 11:45

I'm very disappointed with the response to my concerns about tritium. Do you know that a single drop of tritiated water is a lethal dose?
Compared to radium that would have to be consumed in ridiculous quantities to be lethal, tritium is being propagated in alarming amounts.
Mostly from CANDU reactors refueling but also the indiscriminant use in illumination . Tritium is the most toxic substance in the universe.
Where I'm from, Waukesha WI. USA we are being cajoled into accepting tritiated lake Michigan water to replace the radium water we've lived with forever.

Steven Sesselmann

Re: tritium

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 11 May 2017, 12:36

Firstly I don't think we ever got a formal introduction, so we don't know your name.

Tritium may well be a concern, and when large scale fusion starts operating it will be interesting to see how well they will be able to confine the Tritium. Being such a light element it is inevitable that some will leak out, the question is how much. A small amount may well be sustainable as the isotope has a half life of around 12 years, but due to it's toxicity it's something that needs to be carefully considered.

One of the reasons you might not get too much interest here, is the difficulty of measuring the pure beta emitter Tritium with the gamma spectrometry equipment most work with here.

I would love to see someone build a liquid scintillation counter with a GS-1100-PRO and PRA, it's perfectly possible, but no one has done it yet, so why not take on the challenge?

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 11 May 2017, 12:46

It appears the French has already taken on that challenge for the benefit of the Billionaires in Monaco. Google it.

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 11 May 2017, 13:04

I'd gladly take on this challenge if I had had some support. But sadly so you're is interested

WillemG

Post by WillemG » 12 May 2017, 22:41

I would like to refer to my earlier postings about the chemical and biological effects of tritium. In fact all organisms have been exposed during ages to tritium which is a naturally occurring isotope while it is generated in the atmosphere, mainly as HTO.
Organisms have so many repair mechanisms to repair their DNA/RNA and cell components. The toxicity depends indeed on the dose, as with so many poisonous matter. Many studies on the poisonous effects have already been carried out, but indeed it is necessary to keep aware of the risks, especially where higher dose could be expected, e.g. by nuclear accidents.
I will look again to my literature refs I found last year and will come back on this matter.

Boris

Post by Boris » 14 May 2017, 06:56

Hi sschrammel,

I'm not a scientist so I don't know how toxic tritium is.
knowing mother-nature the most toxic stuff in the universe would kill you with a singe molecule...
for tritium I found this on the web:

Human Toxicity Values:
The median lethal dose (LD50) of tritium assimilated by the body is estimated to be 370 GBq (10 Ci)

So yes if your drop of tritriated water is 100% pure, you could kill a bunch op people. assuming that a drop has 1.67 x 1021 water molecules. so you are quite right.

source:
https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/ ... DOCNO+6467
https://www.thoughtco.com/atoms-in-a-dr ... ter-609425

But somehow the numbers seems a bit odd, any of the scientist willing to check this?
it looks like the world population would die 200 time´s from a singe drop...
so not all the tritium water is absorbed I guess.

cheers, Boris.

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 14 May 2017, 10:43

Thanks for the response. Sometimes a persons belief system gets in the way of facts. This isn't supposed to happen in science. You can work your way backwards, starting with the Russians supposedly landing probes on Venus. Anyone reasonably intelligent person can agree that landing a one ton probe thru an atmosphere of 1000 psi sulfuric acid at 900 degrees F. is absurd. When you compare this absurdity to landing a probe on Mars it seems, you may be calling into question a great deal of the science you grew up with. This is the disturbing part. the sooner in life a person establishes a concept for reality, the harder it is for them to realize it's fiction.

Boris

Post by Boris » 18 May 2017, 02:24

wow, Schrammel that's quite a philosophical approach.

it's quite simple when I went to school, life was easy.
no internet. and we played outside a lot.
in high-school we only had electrons, neutrons and protons, and photons.( no quarks and whatnot :))
all the trouble in the world was in countries far far away. and the news on the two tv channels we had was the truth. because it was on the news.

We learnt to realize that we lived in a fake propaganda world, and are now maturing or growing up- to accept that the deception is even deeper than we think it is.

I´m not a conspiracy fan, but believe that we should do our own "science like" investigation to separate the facts from fiction.

I think that we are on the same page...

Cheers, Boris.

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 18 May 2017, 06:44

Boris
Watch Carl Sagan's vivid description of the venera landing. It's quite obvious this led to his invention of the B.S. meter

Boris

Post by Boris » 19 May 2017, 02:26

hahaha, he's just enthusiastic & energetic and is pulling the public into the story, great show.
Yes the baloney detector, is as important as the gamma detector.