Filter isotopes

Discussions about radiation-related science
sgt_bear

Filter isotopes

Post by sgt_bear » 30 Jun 2017, 02:55

Hello!

I would like to do some spectrum on rain, but my problem is that a bottle of water will not put out anything significiant, so my plan was to install a "collector" to my roof rain gutter.

My idea was as following:

-Attach 200L Barrell to Rain Pipe.
-Attach steel mesh filter to get rid of big items like leaves and stuff
-Attach a coal filter and let the collected water flow through it

The big barrel is only that it not overflows while raining and filtering.
After the time of rain (lets say 1 day), i was planning to remove the coal filter, and do a spectrum of it.

But now my biggest and most essential question:

Has the coal-filter the ability to collect the isotopes that are (or could be) in the rain water? Or will they pass through?

Regards,
Jonathan
- Jonathan from Switzerland

lodovico

Re: Filter isotopes

Post by lodovico » 30 Jun 2017, 22:49

It should work. Try also with paper filter. At least you should find radon daughters. You can also try to concentrate the rain boiling it. With paper filter you can collect radon daughters also from the air. Filtering rain for several days you could find Be7 (from cosmic ray).
Lodovico

WillemG

Re: Filter isotopes

Post by WillemG » 03 Jul 2017, 16:38

Coal will adsorb anyhow the organic species contained in rain. For collecting species in ionic form, as cations (metallic species, Cs (137!), ) and anions (nitrates, chlorides, iodides (J131!), phosphates, sulphates, etc.), I would recommend the use of ionexchange resins. These are available for cations (positive charge) and anions (negative charge) as well.
Willem
Note: The coal as well as the ionexchange resins must be of ultrapure analytical quality; at best you can contact the suppliers of analytical grade chemicals. You have to keep in mind that you are trying to analyze in the ppm - ppb range. Repetitive blank reference measurements are important too.
Good luck !
Willem