Hello from Connecticut, USA

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
servette

Hello from Connecticut, USA

Post by servette » 25 Feb 2023, 09:15

My name is Edward - glad to be joining this community. I live in a small town in western Connecticut, not far from the border with New York State. I do hands-on software engineering as my 'day job', and have long had a strong interest in technical pursuits such as amateur radio, electronics and microcontrollers, photography, astronomy, and the like. I've also been devoting a lot of effort toward learning to speak, read, and write in the Japanese language.

While I've been interested in scientific topics 'forever', I first became aware of gamma spectrometry fairly recently, in a roundabout way, as a side effect of a newly-reawakened interest in collecting fluorescent minerals. Specimens of a number of different fluorescent uranium-bearing minerals are known to have been found at several of the nearby pegmatite quarries that are still accessible to collectors. I built a small geiger counter circuit and purchased a RadiaCode 101 scintillation detector in hopes of using them to locate such minerals in the field. Although those instruments have turned out to be less than adequate for the task, they led me to learn more about topics such as radionuclides and gamma spectrometry.

A chance encounter with Andrey Stoev (a.k.a. 'kotarak') and his awesome, custom-built Gamma Dog radiation detector at a nearby rock and mineral show opened my eyes to the possibility of getting my hands on better tools. Following his guidance I have just purchased a GS-PRO-V5 unit, and I'm currently working on modifying a pair of removed-from-equipment Scionix-Holland 38B57 scintillation probes to work with it (hoping to end up with one for home use and the other for the field). I still have lots to learn, and I'm looking forward to the journey.
Edward
Washington Depot, Connecticut USA

iRad

Re: Hello from Connecticut, USA

Post by iRad » 25 Feb 2023, 09:49

Welcome Ed. Glad you found the site and hope you are able to share more about your journey and experiences here. Cheers!
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 25 Feb 2023, 16:27

Hi Edward,

Well done on passing the bot test and welcome to the forum 😊

Good luck with the GS-PRO-V5 and should you have any questions or need any support, feel free to PM me. As a software guy you might even be able to suggest ways to improve Impulse (My rather amateur effort at Python).

See you around..

Steven

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 26 Feb 2023, 10:05

Welcome Edward, seems you have the right background for this forum :)
Svilen