Hello from Newark DE

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Andres Vargas

Hello from Newark DE

Post by Andres Vargas » 30 Jul 2023, 09:11

Hi everyone, my name is Andres Vargas.

I'm a senior year undergrad physics student from Colombia. I'm currently partaking in a research internship at the University of Delaware. I intend to specialize in the nuclear field and right now my work focuses mainly in gamma-ray spectroscopy using multiple types of scintillators.

I'm new to the field but I hope one day I'll be able to help anyone with questions regarding this subjects.
Andres Felipe Vargas-Londoño | GitHub | Linkedin

Sesselmann

Re: Hello from Newark DE

Post by Sesselmann » 30 Jul 2023, 11:14

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the intro, it's great have you here and we look forward to hear about your work and your research.

We encourage the use of real names on our forum, it creates an honest and friendly environment and discourages armchair snipers.

I attach an extensive list of scintillation material properties, maybe you already have it, if not maybe it is useful.

We are always on the lookout for better scintillation materials, preferably ones where the raw material doesn't cost a fortune. Last week a customer asked me for 2x2" LaBr3 and the cost was ridiculous.

I would love to have a better understanding of how scintillation materials convert short wavelength photons to longer wavelength photons.

Steven
Attachments
Scintillation Properties.pdf
(489.17 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

NuclearPhoenix

Post by NuclearPhoenix » 30 Jul 2023, 19:43

Hi Andres, welcome to the forum!

Good to see an undergrad student here, it's very rare (at least in my experience) to see someone at that age being interested in this kind of topic. So, I hope you're successful and wish you the best of luck in pursuing your goals.
Sesselmann wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 11:14
I would love to have a better understanding of how scintillation materials convert short wavelength photons to longer wavelength photons.
I can highly recommend you Gordon Gilmore's great book "Practical Gamma-ray Spectroscopy" if you don't know it already.
In one chapter he explains in short how scintillator materials convert single high-energy photons into multiple (more or less) monochromatic photons and what the dopant's roll in all of this is. It's a highly interesting read!

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 30 Jul 2023, 19:58

Matthias,

I have a soft copy of the book, PM me if you want a link.

Steven