Hello I am Colin from Canada

New members please introduce yourself here.
comoxboy

Hello I am Colin from Canada

Post by comoxboy » 01 May 2015, 13:10

Hello. I'm in Colin in Canada. I have a 1.5 inch NaI with a well, with an inch of lead around it but I'm I'm getting a double peek for for cs137 with a cs137 source. The double goes away when I filter the results for shape.
-Colin in Canada
1.5" NaI with well. 1" thick pure lead (foil) with copper liner.

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Hello I am Colin from Canada

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 01 May 2015, 13:36

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum, I see you have an issue with the definition of the 662 keV peak. I have occasionally seen split peaks caused by voltage drift when a recording is done from a cold start. Make sure you allow your HV power supply to warm up and stabilize before starting the recording. Using a well detector you also need to watch the count rate, if you insert a hot source into a well detector, the count rate could easily exceed the sound card capacity to read the pulses. As a general rule 48 kHz sampling can handle about 1000 cps (without dropping too many pulses) and 96 kHz roughly double that rate.

Try warming up the the HV supply and moving the source further away and see if you still get a double peak.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |