New member: Archaeological geophysicist

New members please introduce yourself here.
hurston

New member: Archaeological geophysicist

Post by hurston » 12 Feb 2017, 07:32

Hi All,

I've just bought a NaI scintillator to evalute for use in archaeological geophysics. The idea is that certain geologies such as clay will have a naturally occuring isotope of potassium, so if there is a variation in the underlying structure of the ground due to archaeology, there may be differences in the readings. I'm not sure I'll get enough contrast, but I'm going to give it a go. There are two hurdles for me to get over. The first is building a suitable carrying rig which keeps the detector close to the ground, but the data recorder within thumb's reach, with shielding of course. The second is to write a suitable data recorder, which is going to be the most difficult. I need to record gridded data, so the data recorder will beep on a regular basis while recording a line of data, so the operator keeps in time with a marked string on the ground, and the data recorder will record the number of readings in that time period as a count of readings for that distance. While I'll have no trouble writing an android app to do the user interface part, I'm much less sure of how to properly interpret the audio data. Can anyone recommend a suitable book on the subject?

David Staveley, UK

Steven Sesselmann

Re: New member: Archaeological geophysicist

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 12 Feb 2017, 19:21

David, hi and welcome to the forum.

My recommendation would be to use Geigerbot it will do almost everything you want it to, except beep every 5 minutes, but it doesn't need to because it will record the count rate directly thereby making it less critical when the detector is moved.

Sure if you are an android user you might be a bit scared of iPhones, but this app will run fine with an old iPhone 4 which you can almost pick up for free.

On completion of your gridded walk you simply press a button which emails the count rate data file with GPS positions.

To take full advantage of using a NaI(Tl) scintillator you can discriminate either side of the K40 peak, thereby ignoring all other counts.

I will send you a link to a book on Gamma Spectrometry

Best of luck..
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |