Hello from Darmstadt

New members please introduce yourself here.
miree

Hello from Darmstadt

Post by miree » 07 May 2017, 03:34

Hello,

I posted already here, but just now saw the introduction board.
My name is Michael Reese from a small town near Darmstadt. I'm just about to finish my PhD in nuclear structure physics at the Darmstadt University. I decided not to continue an academic career and work now as a software engineer at GSI/FAIR. I like to play with electronics at home and started to build my hobby spectrometer. A detailed description is on my blog http://emsyfs.blogspot.com/2017/04/soun ... dence.html, where I also posted some C++ source code that I wrote to take data from the sound card (runs on Linux only). I intend to make some simple experiments using coincidence gamma spectroscopy. For example, I would like to see if it is possible to make angular correlation measurements at home with a 176Lu source. I was happy to find that there is a DIY gamma spectroscopy community :)
Michael Reese
Darmstadt Germany

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Hello from Darmstadt

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 08 May 2017, 09:53

Michael,

Welcome to the forum, I read the page with your project and it looks very interesting.

Thanks for sharing the code, I might try to run it on my tiny Raspberry Pi. I have also been playing around with some simple coding on the RPi, which I will share in another post when I get a chance.

It always fascinates me to see the same problem solved in different ways.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

miree

Re: Hello from Darmstadt

Post by miree » 09 May 2017, 17:08

Steven

Thanks!

The program should compile and run on a raspberry pi. But it is very simple. It does not learn pulse shapes. Instead it makes assumptions about the shape of the signal (negative, with sharp rising edge). For positive signals the program should be modified. It would be interesting to see how it performs with smooth signals.

Michael
Michael Reese
Darmstadt Germany