Hi from Hamburg, Germany

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Janni

Hi from Hamburg, Germany

Post by Janni » 22 Oct 2017, 07:59

Hi,

My name is Janni. I live in Hamburg and I'm faszinated about radiation detectors. It is so cool and interesting to hava a gamma spectrometer for hobby use, thank you Steven for making it possible! :-)

I bought the GS-1100A some months ago and I have a Scionix detector type 38B57/1.5M - E1 from Ebay. Now as autumn has come I found the time to play with these things.

What I found out is that my setup is not working with my laptop that is my only computer at home, but with my office computer at work I get nice shaped pulses in the audio input window (as far as I can say that with my small knowledge by now...).

The problem is the sound card. My laptop has only one jack plug that I can set as a microphone plug, but I don't get any pulses. I also tried with a USB sound card (very cheap one) that has a seperate microphone port, but also that is not working.

I will try in the next time with a better USB sound card to make it work on my computer and will have to learn a lot to produce reliable spectra and maybe ask some stupid questions :-)

Best regards, Janni

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Hi from Hamburg, Germany

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 22 Oct 2017, 09:05

Hi Janni,

Welcome to the forum, great to have you on board. Sharing your technical issues here is a fast way to get a solution.

Although I don't know the model number of your laptop computer I suspect it might be one of the later models with a headset jack rather than a Line-In port. If you look closely at the headset jack you will see that the little jack plug has 4 contacts (rings), these connectors are called TTRS and are wired differently to a normal stereo jack which has left channel on the tip and right channel on the first ring.

I wrote a post on this here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=255&p=1184&hilit=TTRS#p1184

The simple solution is to get a Soundblaster USB sound card with 96 kHz sampling.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

Janni

Post by Janni » 22 Oct 2017, 19:11

Hi Steven,

thank you for your help! I didn't know before that there are these different jack configurations. I will order the soundblaster USB sound card.

Just another question: I also found now these splitters:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Audio-Adapter-K ... Swuk1ZzXFa

Is that also an option? Is it similar to the solution in your post about the ttrs jack?

I think I try both, just for interest :-)

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 22 Oct 2017, 22:09

Janni,

I haven't tried the splitter, but for $3 it's worth a try, hopefully it has a shielded cable.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

Janni

Post by Janni » 23 Oct 2017, 03:04

Hi Steven,

I have ordered this splitter now. In some days I will know if it works and report. :-)