Hi from Hamburg, Germany

New members please introduce yourself here.
Janni

Hi from Hamburg, Germany

Post by Janni » 22 Oct 2017, 07:59

Hi,

My name is Janni. I live in Hamburg and I'm faszinated about radiation detectors. It is so cool and interesting to hava a gamma spectrometer for hobby use, thank you Steven for making it possible! :-)

I bought the GS-1100A some months ago and I have a Scionix detector type 38B57/1.5M - E1 from Ebay. Now as autumn has come I found the time to play with these things.

What I found out is that my setup is not working with my laptop that is my only computer at home, but with my office computer at work I get nice shaped pulses in the audio input window (as far as I can say that with my small knowledge by now...).

The problem is the sound card. My laptop has only one jack plug that I can set as a microphone plug, but I don't get any pulses. I also tried with a USB sound card (very cheap one) that has a seperate microphone port, but also that is not working.

I will try in the next time with a better USB sound card to make it work on my computer and will have to learn a lot to produce reliable spectra and maybe ask some stupid questions :-)

Best regards, Janni

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Hi from Hamburg, Germany

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 22 Oct 2017, 09:05

Hi Janni,

Welcome to the forum, great to have you on board. Sharing your technical issues here is a fast way to get a solution.

Although I don't know the model number of your laptop computer I suspect it might be one of the later models with a headset jack rather than a Line-In port. If you look closely at the headset jack you will see that the little jack plug has 4 contacts (rings), these connectors are called TTRS and are wired differently to a normal stereo jack which has left channel on the tip and right channel on the first ring.

I wrote a post on this here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=255&p=1184&hilit=TTRS#p1184

The simple solution is to get a Soundblaster USB sound card with 96 kHz sampling.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Janni

Post by Janni » 22 Oct 2017, 19:11

Hi Steven,

thank you for your help! I didn't know before that there are these different jack configurations. I will order the soundblaster USB sound card.

Just another question: I also found now these splitters:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Audio-Adapter-K ... Swuk1ZzXFa

Is that also an option? Is it similar to the solution in your post about the ttrs jack?

I think I try both, just for interest :-)

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 22 Oct 2017, 22:09

Janni,

I haven't tried the splitter, but for $3 it's worth a try, hopefully it has a shielded cable.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Janni

Post by Janni » 23 Oct 2017, 03:04

Hi Steven,

I have ordered this splitter now. In some days I will know if it works and report. :-)