US East coast, rad lab WIP

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
stamasd

US East coast, rad lab WIP

Post by stamasd » 29 Oct 2017, 02:21

Hi I'm Silviu and my long-term project is a fusor. Been slowly gathering parts and knowledge for the past 10 years or so. Think I'm getting close to the critical mass. :)

As a side project been getting into some gamma spectroscopy lately. I have a BC412-based detector, which has very poor energy resolution though it's quite sensitive, and I recently built a LYSO+PMT detector. I'm struggling a bit with the internal background of the LYSO and its substraction from the signal in order to get nice clean spectra. The LYSO background is surprisingly high. Still working on getting the best combination of voltage/trigger/rejection on the PMT/LYSO.

I also have a nice neutron detection setup based on Russian corona tubes (both 3He and 10B) which gives me clean results with a self-made Po/Be source.

You can find me frequently also on the fusor.net boards.

Steven Sesselmann

Re: US East coast, rad lab WIP

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 29 Oct 2017, 10:07

Hi Silviu,

Welcome to the forum, great to hear that you are building a fusor. I am not very active on the fusor forum at the moment, but have been building fusors for more than ten years. My fusor is out of action at the moment, but if i have some time over Christmas I might make a few modifications and give it another run.

Well done on taming the Russian neutron detectors, this is quite an achievement in itself, those tubes are noisy with a low signal to noise ratio, but once you get it working, they are actually quite reliable and insensitive to gamma.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 29 Oct 2017, 11:01

Very insensitive to gamma. I see no difference at all between background and with a 10uCi cesium source stuck to it. And the SNR isn't too bad, especially for the boron-lined tubes. In fact I like the boron-lined tubes (SNM-11) so much that I bought a whole lot of them while they're still available and at accessible prices. Once I get neutrons I plan on doing experiments with simultaneous measurements with multiple tubes.
(note that the pictures below are at different scales, which makes the difference in SNR even better)
Attachments
Pulse4.png
typical signal from 3He tube SNM-32
Pulse4.png
typical signal from boron-lined tube SNM-11

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 29 Oct 2017, 13:38

Silviu,

Yes, that looks about right. Here is the preamplifier I built for these tubes.

http://www.gammaspectacular.com/gamma-s ... eutron-pcb
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |