Tom McCarthy From Ireland

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Tom McCarthy

Tom McCarthy From Ireland

Post by Tom McCarthy » 05 May 2015, 08:00

Hi all,

I'm Tom McCarthy, 15 year's young from Ireland.

I've been active on the fusor.net forums for about two years and have got to know Steven Sesselmann through there...I've got a GS-2000 PRO and am borrowing a He-3 tube from Steven to use in my Fusor when I get it done. For any who aren't aware, a Fusor is a nuclear fusion reactor that some build in their homes - More info on fusor.net

Anyway, I got an email from Steven asking to join the forum and here I am. I'm not very well educated on radiation detection in general, but I've been getting itchy to read up, so I'll hopefully progress a bit in my self-education while I'm here. If I can help in any way just let me know!

I also play the guitar (Rory Gallagher and Jimi Hendrix are my favourites), and play Gaelic football and am a boxer. I'm very into maths too and sit the Maths Olympiad here in Ireland.

Cheers,
Tom

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Tom McCarthy From Ireland

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 05 May 2015, 10:53

Hi Tom,

Great to see your name on the board.

Hope you can write up something about your fusor experiments in the "Physics, electronics and beyond" forum.

For those of you who don't know Tom, he is indeed a physics prodigy, and a hard act to follow, years of experience before most people even know what a plasma is. Tom wasn't happy with a mere geiger counter he wanted to detect neutrons, so I made up a special GS-2000-PRO with an He3 detector for him.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 05 May 2015, 18:15

Hi Tom and welcome aboard!

Sounds like you will be able to share some interesting results from your fusor experiments!

Be careful with the boxing, you'll want a sharp mind longer than you will want fast fists :) (I am saying this "despite" 8 years of ju-jutsu, but that took a more general toll on bodily joints) :)

How far gone in building the fusor are you? Do you keep a blog or a webpage for the project?

Best regards,
Karl
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » 08 May 2015, 06:31

Steven,

Thanks for the welcome, I didn't know about this forum before your email - You're a hard act to follow yourself with all of your projects! I'll make sure to get a Fusor post up in a bit, though somewhat busy at school so it could be a while.

Karl,

Thanks for the welcome also. I'm not sure exactly where I am on the road to fusion, but I'll give you an idea...I've got pretty much all vacuum parts and the electronics accounted for, the only thing missing is deuterium gas and some gas fittings. I'm building the Fusor in my shed, but the man donating the power supply isn't confident that I'm safe with a 60kV, 60mA supply in my Shed (rightly!) so I'm currently organising a move to a University about an hour away from my house. Some safety hoops to jump through yet, but I'm confident it'll go ahead in the next month or thereabouts.

I'm aiming to finish the Fusor itself in June/July - Beware, I've made estimates on this before and been astronomically wrong - and then get down to running experiments, with the aim of entering the BT Young Scientist, Ireland's national science fair. As long as I'm enjoying it it's not work.

Thanks for the advice on the boxing too, much the same concern has been communicated to me before. I'm only beginning to fight and an amateur at that (headgear, protection rules), but my trainers have boxing children and they're very trustworthy with keeping anyone under their liege safe. I don't think I'm going down the professional path so I think I'm safe from getting too rattled for now.

You can keep it up with my Fusor on http://www.tommccarthyprojects.com . I don't have much of a regular posting schedule and it could do with an update, but it does the job.

Happy to be a part of this community guys, see you in the main forums!
Tom

iRad

Post by iRad » 08 May 2015, 13:12

Tom – Welcome to the group!
It’s very refreshing to see young people with your kind of talents. I’m sure you will contribute greatly to the community.
(edited TMI)
Cheers, Tom Hall
Last edited by iRad on 12 May 2015, 13:42, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » 12 May 2015, 01:38

Oh my, I can count you as the 2nd person I've come across to have seen Hendrix live...What I'd give to be able to jump back for a few minutes!

Thanks for the welcome, hopefully I can help out a bit and I'm sure I'll get plenty of help from you guys too. While I'm not on many, I find hobbyist forums with communities like this to be a brilliant thing to be a part of. Going to have to make sure we don't get mixed up if we're being addressed in the same thread! ;)

Thanks,
Tom

iRad

Post by iRad » 12 May 2015, 03:08

Hey Tom - (edited TMI)
Don't worry, I'm sure no one will confuse me with a brilliant young chap from Ireland... :)
Last edited by iRad on 12 May 2015, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 12 May 2015, 06:44

Sounds like we will need a new forum section, "Tales from the 70s, with Tom Hall" ! :)
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

iRad

Post by iRad » 12 May 2015, 07:13

I would hate to see the forum digress. Especially here in young Tom's space... :)