Steve from New Mexico

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Steve Dubyk

Steve from New Mexico

Post by Steve Dubyk » 11 May 2015, 07:21

Hello folks! I really like the look and utility of this new forum! I have had many years of experience with radiation detection equipment in both the public and private sectors, from determining uranium resources to clean up of mill tailings and impacted (literally) test sites. I have built most of the probes I use for field exploration and gamma spec. Most recently have co-authored several papers concerning rare minerals, most of which are radioactive, that we have collected at sites here in New Mexico. Additionally, I have sampled soil in the fallout path of the Trinity test site. I am already enjoying the forum discussions!

Steve Dubyk

Sesselmann

Re: Steve from New Mexico

Post by Sesselmann » 11 May 2015, 07:50

Hi Steve,

Nice to see you come across from the old forum. This forum format is a lot easier to work with, now you can format and edit your posts and attach files. We are gathering a really great bunch of people here, with diverse skills, so it's looking good. Unfortunately it's too much hassle to transfer the posts from the old forum to the new one, but if anyone has a really good post worth moving manually, then feel free to do so and post it again here.

Steven

iRad

Post by iRad » 11 May 2015, 08:17

Hi Steve - Good to see you here. I still enjoy seeing that picture you sent of you in the field with Quaker Oatmeal Can Scintillator. Makes me wish I lived nearby a few good places to hunt minerals. Nutin but sand and seashells here.

I hope your R6233 Kit is still running well.
Cheers, Tom
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 11 May 2015, 17:33

Hi Steve!

I agree with Steven; the move to the new format is a great success and I feel we have already gathered a wealth of knowledge and experience in a very short time!

Very interesting to hear you have the possibility to collect some interesting samples... would there be any possibility of obtaining some trinity test site soil, or some exotic mineral sample?
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Steve Dubyk

Post by Steve Dubyk » 12 May 2015, 12:07

Karl, I have plenty of mineral specimens from the Petaca district, and am going to collect more soil at the Trinity fallout site soon. Let me know what you are interested in. I'll post the Petaca paper in the General Discussions section so you can see what we have collected from there.

Steve Dubyk

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 16 May 2015, 05:50

Hi Steve!

Trinity fallout soil would really be awesome! I have my detector system set up and calibrated to quantify Cs137 in soil, and I gladly take any opportunity to analyze soils! Will you also be able to determine Cs137 activity in it, for cross-reference?

What kind of volume of soil will you be able to obtain and ship? I am currently working with a 1" well detector, so the soil volumes have been low (5 ml) but soon I am moving to a 3" well system, so I hope to increase the sample volume to around 25 ml or so.

Any interesting and "hot" mineral sample would of course also be of interest!

Of course I pay for your troubles and any expenses involved! Maybe we can do the detains via the forum PM system?
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Steve Dubyk

Post by Steve Dubyk » 16 May 2015, 09:43

Karl, I sent you a message via the PM system, but it is not clear if it has been sent. Let me know.

Steve Dubyk

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 17 May 2015, 07:56

Hi Steve

No, I have not recieved any PM. The PM system should work, I have recieved PMs before on this forum.
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Steve Dubyk

Post by Steve Dubyk » 18 May 2015, 05:04

Karl, a couple of messages are sitting in my outbox, and are marked sent.

Steve