Greetings from Munich

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
GigaBecquerel

Greetings from Munich

Post by GigaBecquerel » 04 Jul 2020, 08:13

Hello everyone!

I'm GigaBecquerel / Lukas, I'm a physics student and really interested in detector physics.
My setup consists of an old Canberra HPGe (20%, ~3 keV) I repaired earlier this year, as well as a scionix NaI well counter I pulled from my local scrap yard, that achieves around 6.9% at 609 keV.
As shielding for my gamma spectrometers I have a ~500 kg lead castle that gets rid of background pretty well, my detection limit is ~0.5 isotropic gammas per second on the HPGe, depending on energy of course.

I also have a lot of experience with (high) vacuum systems, I think a few people here can guess what I'm building. That, combined with the HPGe would be really interesting for (P)GAA, assuming I can achieve the needed flux.

I'm looking forward to reading more in this forum!

Best regards,
Lukas

Sesselmann

Re: Greetings from Munich

Post by Sesselmann » 04 Jul 2020, 08:58

Hello Lucas,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I forgot to tell you that one of our moderators manually approve the first three posts by new users, so it can take a bit of time before they appear.

Sounds like you are well equipped and on the road to do some interesting neutron activation experiments ;)

I am also a keen fusioneer, that's how I got into this line of business, so i look forward to hear more about your work.

Good luck exchanging ideas on the forum.

Steven

GigaBecquerel

Post by GigaBecquerel » 04 Jul 2020, 18:42

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

After you post something as a newbie it tells you that the post has to be reviewed manually before it goes up, but there was some error and I wasn't sure if it actually got through, hence the double post.
Feel free to delete one :)

Lukas

luuk

Post by luuk » 04 Jul 2020, 19:24

Hi Lucas,
Welcome, I think that you contacted Scionix a few weeks ago.
if you have any questions about Scionix or detectors you can always ask me,
good chance i know the answer.
Luuk

GigaBecquerel

Post by GigaBecquerel » 04 Jul 2020, 19:44

Hello Luuk,

Yep, that's me :)
Erwin told me to contact you, that's how I became aware of this forum.
Lovely how small the world is!

I just posted a question in #Detectors, but the thread has not been approved yet, maybe you can already help me there.

Lukas