Hi from northern Italy

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
ziouranio

Hi from northern Italy

Post by ziouranio » 19 Sep 2020, 21:07

Good day everybody,
I'm Philip, I guess the last (1996) Nuclear Engineer from the University of Bologna (Italy) before the course name was changed to Energetic Engineering LOL.

Being italian nuclear industry ostracized I recycled first into composite materials technology and non destructive testing equipment, then to high security (locks & bio metrics) and finally to photonics, in particular distributed fiber optic sensors, the filed where I am still working.

My "nuclear" passion started at 6 from collecting minerals, since I was suggested to restrict the focus of my stone collections and I thought that U and Th minerals are few enough to achieve the complete collection one day. Needing to check the stones I built my first GM counter kit at 8, and I've been fascinated by the possibility od seeing the invisible since that moment.

I owe quite a bunch of "cold war" museum pieces and I am interested also in spectroscopy detectors. I've some Si schottky diodes for alpha, few NaI, CsI, LiI integral lines, some He3 and BF3 neutron counters and I used to have a couple of HPGe but then I sold them to the local faculty of radio-chemistry when their pop-tops died years ago, so I don't have to look after the LN2 level every morning.

Recently I got some CZTs and I found this forum while looking for info on them, and ... I was hooked up instantly.

Have fun everybody! (especially if above the ultra violet)

Sesselmann

Re: Hi from northern Italy

Post by Sesselmann » 19 Sep 2020, 21:34

Hi Philip,

Cool to have you on our forum, you sound like the kind of guy who understands us, and yes we speak pico meters here :D

I recall having a hand full of those cZT detectors, wish I had some now, they would be useful for XRF experiments.

This spectrum of Ba133 was done with one of those cZT detectors. https://www.gammaspectacular.com/image/ ... 3Ba(2).jpg

I recall they were very microphonic (sensitive to vibration).

Steven