Hello from Ben in Germany / UK

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Ben H

Hello from Ben in Germany / UK

Post by Ben H » 15 Dec 2020, 09:17

Hi Everyone,

I'm an electronic and software design engineer from the UK, but currently living in Germany. I have always had my own electronics projects from High voltage electronics and Tesla coil building to high performance multirotors. But now, my main interest is Radiation detection.

I am in the process of building a Gamma Spectrometer using a 63mm NaI(Tl) crystal and Hamamatsu PMT and of course the Gamma Spectacular USB-Pro.

My intention is to design and build a small and budget friendly wireless Gamma Spec using SiPM and an ESP32 and I will be using the PMT version for comparison.

If this all goes to plan, I'll look at developing an android app to go with it (my other job)

Other areas I intent to look into are the potential effects of Brehmstralung Xrays on the body (measure energy/penetration depth ) from tritium tubes in popular EDC trinkets such as beads/torches.

XRF capabilities of the Nai scintillator using standard Gamma Spec equipment

Thanks for having me on the forum and I look forward to getting involved.

Ben

Sesselmann

Re: Hello from Ben in Germany / UK

Post by Sesselmann » 15 Dec 2020, 09:44

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum, well done on navigating our anti spam procedures :)

Good luck with your projects and I hope the Android software project gets off the ground, as we are missing a good app for Androids.

GeigerBot is once again working on iPhones it's good, but I imagine it could be better. I often thought of attempting an app myself, but I don't have sufficient coding skills in the appropriate languages, so it would be a painful journey.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Steven

Ben H

Post by Ben H » 15 Dec 2020, 23:02

Hi Steven,

Thanks!

On a side note, if you were wanting to look at android development, you might want to look at DroidScript who I am personally involved with, It allows you to very quickly put together professional apps, using only Javascript. Literally 10x faster than the traditional methods and easy enough for any skill level. There are examples for serial comms, and flot charts as well as tonnes of others which could be useful for what we do.

Ben
Ben Hurren | Electronics and Software | Germany / UK

iRad

Post by iRad » 16 Dec 2020, 01:30

Hi Ben,

Glad to see you here and look forward to your contributions. It would be great to see a DIY kit based on a device like the ESP32 (Bluetooth or WiFi) and easily integrated with a detector, something that can wirelessly send signals directly to a mobile device in real time with enough resolution to be useful for gamma spec. Only please somebody don't forget iOS. Although I might purchase an older Android device just to dedicate it for that use, it would be nicer not to have to carry two mobile devices.

GeigerBot has been next to useless for some time, especially since the loss of the mic jack on newer iOS devices. Now that GeigerBot is operational with current iOS again, it would be nice if it could be used with Bluetooth devices for input.

I hope your Hamamatsu R6233 has made it to you safely!

Cheers, Tom
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

Ben H

Post by Ben H » 16 Dec 2020, 06:12

Hi Tom,

I've already started work on the ESP32 and signal processing side, and I'll probably create a thread for it soon. Can't afford a crystal and SiPM after the PMT/CsI/GS-USB-Pro purchase at the moment, but I'll work on the back-end with simulated pulses until I get round to ordering a crystal another month. I'm also going to test some cheaper photodiodes and see how they perform, because I'm suspicious that they may also give useable results, but most people I have seen online are using the 50-150 quid high performance SiPM detectors from the beginning.

The Bluetooth/Wifi capability of the ESP32 is what I aim to use, to directly stream the (buffered) data to the phone. (Also possible to build as a web app so compatible with both android and iphone) There is also the possibility of sending the data directly to the Cloud so it can be viewed from a web page etc. Potential use for continuous environmental monitoring.

The PMT hasn't arrived yet so can't quite relax yet!

Ben
Ben Hurren | Electronics and Software | Germany / UK