Test with a new type scintillation crystal

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
luuk

Test with a new type scintillation crystal

Post by luuk » 21 Mar 2019, 07:38

Hi guys,

I did a test with a new high resolution scintillation crystal, if interested in the results, please read the pdf.

Luuk
Attachments
Test with a new High resolution crystal..pdf
(100.14 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Test with a new type scintillation crystal

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 22 Mar 2019, 10:33

Luuk,

Thanks for sharing information about the new LBC crystals, which many of us will probably never get a chance to work with.

The results look spectacular :)

You mention that these crystals are very hygroscopic, so I assume they are fully encapsulated like most NaI crystals.

Who manufactures these crystals and do you know how much they cost?

We should never under estimate what amateurs are prepared to spend on their hobby... :D

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

luuk

Post by luuk » 23 Mar 2019, 21:07

Hi Steven,

I am not sure about the exact price of this type of crystal but all these high resolution crystals are very expensive and it will be in the range of LaBr3/CeBr, Cllbc etc. that cost I think around 2000-3000 for a 1x1” that is just for the crystal.
Yes it is very hydroscopic and needs to be sealed like all hydroscopic crystals.
It is produced by Helma and we are the exclusive representative of this crystal.
For the best results it needs a special pmt that cost an other 400-600 so it is not real hobby material, for almost that money can also buy a nice working second-hand HpGe with a resolution from a few eV just needs some Ln2 and there also nice portable types.
I expect that in the near future these crystals will be (a lot)cheaper but how long that takes ?

Luuk

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 27 Mar 2019, 09:45

Luuk,

Here is some more information on LBC, provided to me by my client at Hellma (yes they also have a GS).

https://indico.cern.ch/event/388511/con ... Poster.pdf

Let's hope the cost of this material comes down soon, it looks great, and I think most scientists would happily pay a little extra for a better resolution probe.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |