Menzenschwand, Germany

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
sgt_bear

Menzenschwand, Germany

Post by sgt_bear » 15 Sep 2019, 02:27

Hi Guys,

I was quite inactive, but i've found time to do some radiation related. I decided to visit Menzenschwand in Germany today, which is only 1.5hrs from my town in Switzerland. I wanted to visit this, because there was an old uranium mine, and i was curious what i could find. It was really interesting to not find any information about the mining or radioactivity!

Find attached a PDF of my observations and explanations.
MenzenschwandRadiation.pdf
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
I also found a radioactive rock, which contains uranium, the following spectra shows this fact:
Spectrum.png
I also attached some pictures of the collected mineral. Sadly i don't know anything about minerals or rocks, but maybe someone here in this forum know about them and might could tell me what the found mineral could be?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Attachments
L08B5694.jpg
L08B5692.jpg
- Jonathan from Switzerland

Svilen

Re: Menzenschwand, Germany

Post by Svilen » 15 Sep 2019, 06:09

This was definitely a nice trip and mineral hunt you had there. I also don't know much about minerals, but maybe the black spots are small amounts of Uraninite in whatever rock matrix. You may also illuminate it with UV light to see if the yellowish substance is fluorescent, could be traces of Autunite for example.
Svilen

Go-Figure

Post by Go-Figure » 15 Sep 2019, 23:59

Interesting,
I can't help you with the mineral identification. I have a book about radioactive minerals but I am not an expert, so I could say something very very wrong.
Yes, the spectrum is definitely U238-Ra226. In my experience it's unusual having peaks from Th234 and no X-rays from Pb214 when testing this kind of samples, so that's interesting!

Massimo

gwgw

Post by gwgw » 16 Sep 2019, 08:08

I also have that peak around 90-95kev (might be offset due to poor calibration at lower energies). And I have it every time I measure something of minor activity, but it's much better pronounced when I measure higher activity samples. I don't think it's from Thorium, more like XRF of some kind, probably from my shielding. I was even considering posting a question about that.
Regards,
Milen Rangelov

Go-Figure

Post by Go-Figure » 16 Sep 2019, 08:34

gwgw wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 08:08
I also have that peak around 90-95kev (might be offset due to poor calibration at lower energies). And I have it every time I measure something of minor activity, but it's much better pronounced when I measure higher activity samples. I don't think it's from Thorium, more like XRF of some kind, probably from my shielding. I was even considering posting a question about that.
Fluorescence from shielding it's around 80 keV.
Samples with U238 in my experience always have a X-Rays peak from Pb 214 at 74 and 77 keV.

Th234, if visible, should have two peaks at 63 and 93 keV, with similar probability.
I see two peaks quite close to each other here but they are probably a bit too close to each other to be 63 and 93.

Massimo

Janni

Post by Janni » 16 Sep 2019, 19:19

Hi Jonathan,

Menzenschwand is interesting, I have also been there for hunting minerals. I even found the old entrance of the mine, but it is very hidden. I have been there already three times and found it when I was there the third time. You find it if you follow the Krunkelbach river a little bit in the forest and then there is something like a slope with metal things and sand bags that were used to close the mine I think. All the sand bags and metal are very hard to find because it is rusty and has the same color like the nature around and the forest around is really dark. You can see it only if you are very close to it, the best is to stand in the water. I found some rocks also, one had about 300 µSv/h.

I can also recommand Jachymov in Czechia for finding uranium minerals, there you can also find some old ruins of the uranium mines, but unfortunately I haven't found an entrance, I will continue searching next time :-)

sgt_bear

Post by sgt_bear » 17 Sep 2019, 06:10

Hi Janni,

I stopped looking for the entrace because it was very hot (29-30 C), i did not expect this heat. And also i guess its probably better to visit this in later fall, because now the vegetation is fully grown and green and covers alot. Yes i also will come back, with a scintillation detector, because of the supposed radon everywhere its hard to find single minerals.

Yes, Czechia would be nice, but thats alot of driving from switzerland, maybe one day there is a chance that im near there for work, we have customers in Bayern, DE which can be close to Czechia...

But first i have one Location in Germany and two in Switzerland!
- Jonathan from Switzerland

elemental

Post by elemental » 17 Sep 2019, 07:20

Hi guys

Abilene could be correct. The black mineral is possibly uraninite / pitchblende or davidite.

The yellow green flakes could be autunite - which Fluoresces a bright green with SW MW and LW ultraviolet lights. It could also be torbenite - or metatorbenite. This mineral doesn’t fluoresce and is far less radioactive than autunite ( using a Geiger counter)

Cheers
Gary

Peter-1

Post by Peter-1 » 17 Sep 2019, 23:23

Hello,
I have 2 pieces from menzenschwand with very nice needles from Uranophan.
The pulsrate was 240 CPS with background, background only 16 CPS.
Peter