Maralingite

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
Svilen

Maralingite

Post by Svilen » 04 Oct 2019, 08:46

MARALINGA-ThomasWielecki-129.jpg
Maralinga was the site of British nuclear tests between 1956 and 1963. It measures about 3300 sq. km and is part of the Woomera Prohibited Area in South Australia. Seven nuclear tests were performed at the site during "Operation Buffalo" and "Operation Antler".
Initial cleanup was done in 1967, later reported as insufficient and another cleanup was completed in 2000 at the cost of $108 million. The safety of the site and the long-term health effects on the traditional Aboriginal inhabitants are still controversial.

Maralingite is the Australian analogue of trinitite formed during the "Trinity" nuclear test in USA - a result of the intense heat from a nuclear explosion melting the sand into a light green glassy substance.
MARALINGA-ThomasWielecki-028.jpg

The sample:
(Notice the more reddish color of the soil on the underside in compare with the trinitite)
m3.png

The spectrum:
(The activity of the sample is ~10 cps above the background in the shielding; 2x2" NaI(Tl) detector; 5h acquisition time).
Maralingite_5h.png
Maralingite_5h.png (61.67 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Maralingite-5h.png
Maralingite-5h.png (22.87 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Svilen

sgt_bear

Re: Maralingite

Post by sgt_bear » 04 Oct 2019, 19:50

Hi Svilen,

Nice spectrum ! Amazing, how were you able to aquire samples of maralingite? I've never seen any for sale or so, the only one that i ever seen are on the page of radioactivethings. I also tried to contact local tour oparators of maralinga site if they can pick up some, but they cant...

If you have a trusted source, i would be interested.

Also it would be very nice to hear if others have also samples of the different locations like the semipalatsink test site or bikini atoll. I've seen some pictures of bikini atoll that had enormous samples of fused sand, like more than the size of a hand...
- Jonathan from Switzerland

Go-Figure

Post by Go-Figure » 04 Oct 2019, 22:41

sgt_bear wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 19:50
If you have a trusted source, i would be interested.
Same here, let us know Svilen!

Massimo

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 05 Oct 2019, 00:19

I was also looking for it quite a long time, even asked Steven here once, since he is Australian, but he also never had a sample of it... Finally, I bought one from an Australian jewel/mineral seller on ebay. I don't know if they have more of it, but at least it is not listed anymore. Here is the seller (I tried to contact them today, but they are out of the office untill 16.10.19):
https://www.ebay.com/usr/crissescrystalworld

I am looking for the russian one now - "kharitonchik", if somebody have for sale or knows a supplier, please let me know.
Svilen

elemental

Post by elemental » 05 Oct 2019, 05:00

Hi there all,

I live in Adelaide and work for the geological survey of south Australia.

I’m very familiar with airborne spectra gathered over the maralinga area and have often joked about the existence af
“Maralingaite” as a pun on trinitite.

After the post I will chase our geologists and see if they can obtain some.

In the meantime if anyone finds a supplier please let me know.

Gary reed
Willunga

gwgw

Post by gwgw » 05 Oct 2019, 08:07

Amazing...

Wondering is that U235 photopeak coming from those tests where they exploded warheads with conventional explosives to see if that would spontaneously detonate...
Regards,
Milen Rangelov

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 05 Oct 2019, 18:36

More likely not, since the result from a trinitite sample with comparable size and activity is nearly the same.
Svilen

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 05 Oct 2019, 19:12

elemental wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 05:00
In the meantime if anyone finds a supplier please let me know.
Gary,

There is a good business opportunity for you ;)

Steven

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 06 Oct 2019, 01:11

Gary, There is a good business opportunity for you ;)
After the interest shown here, I regret not buying all that ebay seller had and reselling it here in Europe :D Joking of course. I even don't know if they have more at all, but hope so, and you guys can get some too. It actually costed a fortune with the shipping from Australia and the customs here, not to mention it took me a month to get it. I didn't know it is so hard to find even for the Australians though.
Svilen

gwgw

Post by gwgw » 06 Oct 2019, 05:37

That reminds me, I noticed trinitite on ebay being sold by an Australian seller. Prices were insane, like $300-400 for a little piece like 2-3g. It made no sense at all. Now I wonder if that "trinitite" was actually from the British tests, hah.
Regards,
Milen Rangelov