Keyboard Shortcuts

PRA, BeqMoni, Theremino, Fitzpeaks and beyond!
Steven Sesselmann

Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 09 Oct 2016, 09:22

Hi Guys,

Just had word from Marek (PRA author) that 15.0.1.2 is out, this one has just a few minor enhancements, including a requests which I have been waiting for.

Changes in version 15.0.1
1. Added: Mean and standard deviation are displayed in “PulseWidth” histogram.
2. Added: Trigger modes: normal and auto are toggled by depressing “T” key.

The second point is the one I have been waiting for, because I often use PRA to test my low efficiency neutron detectors which only have a background count every 10 minutes, so if you are waiting for a pulse and happen to blink at the wrong time you have to wait another 10 minutes.

Now by pressing the "t" key you can set the audio input window into trigger mode, so when the pulse triggers it stays on the screen until it is overwritten with a new pulse.
Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 9.02.41 AM.png
Pulse Triggered
Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 9.02.41 AM.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Download link.
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~marek/pra/index.html

Note: Marek seems to love keyboard short cuts, so if you are new to PRA I suggest you take the time to study this.

Keyboard Shortcuts
PRA uses following commands which can be accessed by keyboard shortcut:
  • → (right arrow) – increase current position in an active histogram by one.
  • ← (left arrow) – decrease current position in an active histogram by one. 3. ↑ (up arrow) – horizontal zoom out.
  • ↓ (down arrow) – horizontal zoom in.
  • Page Up – vertical zoom in. Can be also done with the Mouse Wheel rotation. 6. Page Down – vertical zoom out.
  • A – start data acquisition.
  • S – stop data acquisition.
  • Space – Start or stop 'playing' audio pulses.
  • . (period) – Rises the pitch of the played sound.
  • > – Increases the rate of the “played pulses”.
  • , (comma) – lowers the pitch of the played sound.
  • < – Decreases the rate of the “played pulses”.
  • B – mark beginning of 'Region Of Interest' in Pulse Height Histogram.
  • E – mark end of 'Region Of Interest'.
  • K – mark all ROIs in the right channel identical to the left channel ROIs.
  • D – mark automatically very wide ROI around Gaussian correlation peak (D for double).
  • F – mark automatically wide ROI around Gaussian correlation peak (F for full).
  • G – mark automatically medium ROI around Gaussian correlation peak (G for Gaussian).
  • H – mark automatically narrow ROI around Gaussian correlation peak (H for half).
  • L – toggles automatic selection of last entry in “Counting Rate vs Time” window.
  • T – toggles normal and auto trigger modes in “Audio Input” window.
  • Delete – deletes ROI at current position in pulse height histogram.
  • Delete + Shift – deletes all ROIs in pulse height histogram.
  • Q – opens Information dialogue box which displays the same information as in active window as text which can be read by “JAWS” program. To quit this dialogue box press Enter key.
    26. F1 – Activates all “Save” menu items during data acquisition without stopping. This status will be reset to 'normal' when you restart data acquisition.
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

ManuelDiaz

Re: PRA 15.0.1.2 and Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by ManuelDiaz » 10 Oct 2016, 20:44

Thanks for the update! As you have contact with him, two suggestions from my side, which might be things that are already there and I couldn't find yet:

For the Audio Input: I'd love to have a zoom there! Sometimes it's very difficult to see if the noise is or isn't above the threshold!

For the pulse height: I believe that the only thing missing in this wonderful software is to enable us to load a list of isotopes and energies, so they can be displayed over the spectrum itself.

Regards,
Manuel.

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 11 Oct 2016, 10:22

ManuelDiaz wrote:For the Audio Input: I'd love to have a zoom there! Sometimes it's very difficult to see if the noise is or isn't above the threshold!
The best way to check the noise level is to turn off the shape tolerance and set the height threshold to zero, this will generate a huge peak hard up against the left hand side of your pulse height histogram. The peak is noise and it tells you where to set the height threshold.
ManuelDiaz wrote:For the pulse height: I believe that the only thing missing in this wonderful software is to enable us to load a list of isotopes and energies, so they can be displayed over the spectrum itself.
Nice, but Marek is reluctant to do this because he used the software to teach year 3 physics students, he wants them to investigate and learn :)

If you require this function you can try Theremino, Becqmoni or even Geigerbot
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

ManuelDiaz

Post by ManuelDiaz » 11 Apr 2019, 16:17

Steven Sesselmann wrote: The best way to check the noise level is to turn off the shape tolerance and set the height threshold to zero, this will generate a huge peak hard up against the left hand side of your pulse height histogram. The peak is noise and it tells you where to set the height threshold.
Will test that!
Steven Sesselmann wrote: Nice, but Marek is reluctant to do this because he used the software to teach year 3 physics students, he wants them to investigate and learn :)

If you require this function you can try Theremino, Becqmoni or even Geigerbot
I can totally understand his view then :) Once I can get PRA to work as I expect, I will try to get good results with BeqcMoni too. Theremino approach to calibration is a bit weird to me, and Geigerbot is out of scope as I am an Android only guy :)

Last bumped by Steven Sesselmann on 11 Apr 2019, 16:17.