GEIGERBOT for Iphone

PRA, BeqMoni, Theremino, Fitzpeaks and beyond!
Hendrik Vingerhoet

Re: GEIGERBOT for Iphone

Post by Hendrik Vingerhoet » 30 Jun 2019, 19:48

Conor Whyte wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 09:28
I am using iOS 12.3.1, the latest iOS update for my iPhone 6s+.
I am suspecting that the app does not have the permissions to access the internal ADC for the newer hardware... > I don't have a newer iPad or iPhone7 or up to test my theory.
Have you tried using the lightning adapter with a pair of headphones to see if you can trigger the input?
yeah i tried that, it just does not have permission. I see the audio route change but since i dont have permissions i receive no audio data. My iphone is also on 12.3.1.
Weird that it works for you, is the iphone updated from 11 to 12 without a complete reset (whiping all data)?

Hendrik Vingerhoet

Post by Hendrik Vingerhoet » 30 Jun 2019, 21:02

So i did just try something, i made a backup of my working iphone and restored that on my ipad using itunes. The permissions transferred over enabeling geigerbot again

Conor Whyte

Post by Conor Whyte » 01 Jul 2019, 02:22

What you have just experienced is the whole issue with iOS and app permissions for accessing hardware. Wiping/ reinstalling the phone / re-installing from backup brings back the permissions which quite frankly shouldn't happen and wastes everyone's time.
This was suggested in the Apple community forums by a few senior apple members with regards to dealing with made for iOS Rode microphones on the iPhone XS and iPad pro suddenly not working.

What a nightmare.
Last edited by Conor Whyte on 02 Jul 2019, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Hendrik Vingerhoet

Post by Hendrik Vingerhoet » 01 Jul 2019, 02:47

No this is a whole different thing, that the app did not work anymore is quite normal since ios 12 changed a lot on security and permission stuff. I know that this changed since i am a ios developer myself, if you dont have a text line in one of the Plists with the reason why your app needs microphone permissions it wont ask for it and you cant enable it, this is new in 12.
I did not wipe my ipad, i just restored an backup with saved settings of ios 11 where the permissions where set to allow microphone. The permissions you set for apps get transfered in that case. The install before was a complete reset from DFU mode to ios 12 directly without any settings restored from a previous device. I just did the same with my Iphone X and that works as well now. Quite nice, i can finally use the ipad with gps and sim card that i specially bought for this purpose.
I also tried another clean install on the same iPad and again no microphone permission till i recoverd a backup of a device over it where geigerbot had the right permissions.

Meanwhile i am still working on my own app since i have the feeling its only gonna be a matter of time till this stops working again (when ios 13 gets released there is quite a lot more changes to the apple coding ecosystem).

Conor Whyte

Post by Conor Whyte » 01 Jul 2019, 07:15

Hendrik Vingerhoet wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 02:47
No this is a whole different thing, that the app did not work anymore is quite normal since ios 12 changed a lot on security and permission stuff. I know that this changed since i am a ios developer myself, if you dont have a text line in one of the Plists with the reason why your app needs microphone permissions it wont ask for it and you cant enable it, this is new in 12.
I did not wipe my ipad, i just restored an backup with saved settings of ios 11 where the permissions where set to allow microphone. The permissions you set for apps get transfered in that case. The install before was a complete reset from DFU mode to ios 12 directly without any settings restored from a previous device. I just did the same with my Iphone X and that works as well now. Quite nice, i can finally use the ipad with gps and sim card that i specially bought for this purpose.
I also tried another clean install on the same iPad and again no microphone permission till i recoverd a backup of a device over it where geigerbot had the right permissions.

Meanwhile i am still working on my own app since i have the feeling its only gonna be a matter of time till this stops working again (when ios 13 gets released there is quite a lot more changes to the apple coding ecosystem).
excuse my use of the term wipe.... I meant you had to reinstall from backup. Anyways, glad you got it working.

JasonLiu

Post by JasonLiu » 03 Jul 2019, 14:59

Sadly I don't have any device nor backup that is lower than ios 12. What that means is I cannot use the app. The last update on geigerbot is 5 years ago.

H̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶o̶u̶r̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶o̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶f̶e̶c̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶g̶i̶t̶h̶u̶b̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶S̶a̶f̶e̶c̶a̶s̶t̶/̶D̶r̶i̶v̶e̶-̶i̶o̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶p̶u̶s̶h̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶(̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶1̶.̶7̶.̶1̶,̶ ̶5̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶l̶o̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶.̶

Both geigerbot and Safecast IOS are not the opensource software. On Safecast's github, they seem still in active development. I opened an issue to Safecast API repo as there is no such Safecast IOS repo, hopefully they can take it serious and have it fixed.

Hendrik Vingerhoet

Post by Hendrik Vingerhoet » 03 Jul 2019, 19:23

As far as i understand Safecaset itself is independent of this app, so i wouldnt bet my money on it.
I was already thinking if it would be possible to make a shared ios backup, but that would involve shared apple id's as well

JasonLiu

Post by JasonLiu » 06 Jul 2019, 07:43

Hendrik Vingerhoet wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 19:23
As far as i understand Safecaset itself is independent of this app, so i wouldnt bet my money on it.
I was already thinking if it would be possible to make a shared ios backup, but that would involve shared apple id's as well
I don't know how is that work, install the backup for phone might mess up things that already in the phone. Also, I believe the best case that would only work for one model of machine. I am using iPhone 6s plus, on 12.3.1, I tried to login my Apple ID on my friends phone which is in IOS 11. It did work on his phone after I opened the app, there is a microphone request immediately. I then logout the ID and look at my phone, the setting didn't get copied from his phone even I logout my ID and re-login. That means the setting is not stored in the iCould or anywhere, only on the phone locally.

As far as your concern, they did response to my reported issue and closed it. They replied:
"Thanks for the report. This is a known issue, and indeed is due to the reasons you say. It's been resolved in the development version of the app but I don't have an ETA on its release right now. Due to the fix and this being a different project I'll be closing this out for now. Thanks!"

Seems like they have discovered the issue and fixed but they don't know if they are going to release. As far as I concern, the most recent update of their apps are 2 years ago in Apple store. They probably don't have paid developer account as such they can't release updates I guess.

JasonLiu

Post by JasonLiu » 06 Jul 2019, 08:33

Actuall, I think I can push the backup to my iCould from my friend's phone and restore them in my own phone. But in order to restore, I have to erase my phone first. I don't want to erase my phone though.

Hendrik Vingerhoet

Post by Hendrik Vingerhoet » 07 Jul 2019, 07:44

ha Jason,
the last post is what i did indeed. It would indeed overwrite all kinds of stuff.
Its nice that you got a response however, and if they would not have a payed developer account the old app would not be on there so thats a bit of hope. (apple pulls the apps of unpayed accounts from the appstore).
Lets hope a new version gets released someday.