some more video's and pictures plastic scintillator

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
luuk

some more video's and pictures plastic scintillator

Post by luuk » 24 Jan 2017, 07:44

Because there were some questions about pictures and the short video I made before about cutting and polishing of the plastic scintillator.
So I made some more pictures and video's with e.g. polishing of plastic, and put them again on Dropbox for interested to see and/or download.

see link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g56yfnsafd2l ... TPrua?dl=0

Luuk

Steven Sesselmann

Re: some more video's and pictures plastic scintillator

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 24 Jan 2017, 16:03

Luuk,

Thanks for sharing..

Is this the plastic you can polish without any compound, just rubbing it with a soft cloth?

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

luuk

Post by luuk » 25 Jan 2017, 03:32

Hi Steven,
No we use as you can see on one of the video's "Brasso" that is a copper polish liquid but I quess any other copper polish will work.

Luuk

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 25 Jan 2017, 14:29

Yes Brasso works well on plastics and acrylics, I used to polish dentures with this when I was a dental technician :)

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Alain

Post by Alain » 09 Jul 2018, 06:23

I remember one US research article (maybe from the 50' or 60'), where it was mentioned that tritium detectors are made from plastic scintillator turnings and shavings in conjunction with PMT. Shavings were filled into tube with glass window and gas conections and plastic was reacting on beta-radiation, producing scintillation. Other beta-emitting gases could be measured, too (Kr-85, C-14, Xe-133 and 135...). Luckily, in ordinary life we don't mess with such gases, only nuclear guys do (although they are escaping into atmosphere and creating concern (especially Kr-85) because their concentration in air constantly rising over decades...). But the point is - waste is not always garbage :)

When I'll find link to that article I can post it here. Anybody heard about that or have any idea for using that in detectors?
Regards,
Alain

dynode

Post by dynode » 25 Nov 2018, 23:12

Just wondering, can one remelt the turnings and have a working scintillator material?
Johan / Utrecht / Netherlands / www.dynode.nl