Theremino MCA or Beqmoni ?

PRA, BeqMoni, Theremino, Fitzpeaks and beyond!
Sebastien_billard

Re: Theremino MCA or Beqmoni ?

Post by Sebastien_billard » 11 Feb 2019, 20:43

What do you find so desirable in PRA exactly ? I agree it seems to have a powerful pulse analysis engine, but it lacks feature to read the spectrum. Why no possibility to have a library of photopeaks or regions of interest ?
Sébastien Billard, north of France
http://www.sebastien-billard.fr/tacticool/

25*25mm NaI detector

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 12 Feb 2019, 09:02

Sebastien,

PRA was designed for the purpose of teaching University physics students about spectrometry, so many things that could have been automated have deliberately been left as manual processes.

Students were encouraged to analyse spectra, calculate energies and determine isotopes, rather than using a "no brain required" system that does all the work for them.

Of course when you understand the method you are qualified to move on and use any system.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

Conor Whyte

Post by Conor Whyte » 30 Jun 2019, 15:28

Actually I used PRA to do this back in the beginning of May / late April to teach an IB Physics 12 class basic Gamma Spectroscopy. I had a bunch of labeled isotopes (labels covered so no cheating) and some unknowns High value points scattered around the campus.
The students had to use survey meters to find the "hot" items (they were marked) but hidden (scavenger hunt) and bring back to the lab for analysis. The winners had to get the each of the isotope peaks correct and correctly ID the isotope. Winning teams got arduino uno boards to take home.

It was quite fun.