Hi all new and old users

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
brehwens

Hi all new and old users

Post by brehwens » 30 Apr 2015, 04:37

Hi guys!

All current users probably know a bit about me, but since we have launched this new forum and hopefully get new members, I thought it would be nice to reintroduce myself.

I have a background (MSc) in molecular biology/toxicology, and a PhD (2014) in radiation biology from Stockholm University. The focus of my research was biological effects of ionizing radiation, and factors that modulate this response. I am currently transitioning out of academia to the industry.

My former supervisor sparked my interest for radiation detection by his collection of vintage geiger counters etc. I got a geiger counter, but soon felt it was not fulfilling my curiosity. I then came into contact with "the community", first with Steven Sesselmann and then with the members of the Yahoo "gamma spectrometry" forum.

Over the last 3 years I have developed my setup to include a 3-5 cm lead castle, and NaI probes of various models and usages. Lately, I have focused my efforts on the quantification of Cs137 in Swedish soils, as we got quite som Chernobyl fallout back in 1986. I am fortunate to have a contact at the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority who is a radiochemist with 7 years IAEA experience. He is very helpful in my quantification efforts and has alot of methods expertise which he shares.

Apart from gamma spectrometry, I also spend my spare time (the little I have with two young sons) playing the trombone.

/Karl
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Trax

Re: Hi all new and old users

Post by Trax » 01 May 2015, 12:08

Is that a double trigger bass trombone?

brehwens

Re: Hi all new and old users

Post by brehwens » 01 May 2015, 20:50

Trax,

No, it is a regular Conn 88H from -91 with a normal F-attachment.

I actually traded this horn in about a year ago after faithful service since -98. As a PhD defense gift to myself, I instead bought a spanking brand new Bach Stradivarius 42G LT, that is a model 42 with a goldbrass bell and a lightweight nickel slide, equipped with an "infinity" flow valve (Thayer).
42AF_600.jpg
42AF_600.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
I enjoy the new horn alot, still I have some "running in" to do on the slide but I am getting there.

Do you play yourself?
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV