Chiming in..

Hang up the labcoat, relax and chat about anything
brehwens

Chiming in..

Post by brehwens » 05 Jan 2016, 09:42

Hi guys!

I have been very absent from the forum during the fall, and I just wanted to pop my head in and say hi.

In the summer, both me and my wife found new jobs. I was able to "get out" of academia and I now work for Pfizer close to our old hometown, to which we now have moved to a house. We started by living for 4 months with my wife's parents while waiting for some legal matters to settle with the new house. We had all our stuff packed down, so it wasn't much time, room or possibilities to have any kind of hobby. Quite strange couple of months, but we managed. And the kids took the transition to the new kindergarden well,which was a relief.

So, on December 2 we finally got access to our house and the whole "settling in" process began. I do quite a bit of redecoration and renovations around the house, which I really enjoy. The new house also came with my very own MAN CAVE, meaning I have a whole room to fit all my stuff away from the curious eyes of my two sons, and the annoyed eyes of my wife :) I have set up my lead castle and probes along with my computer, and the system is up and running so I am slowly getting back up in the saddle. Getting the house in order has priority but I will start up my activities measuring Cs137 in soil again over the weeks to come.

So, just a brief update from me. Still around, just had 6 quite intense and life-changing months behind me! :)
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Chiming in..

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 05 Jan 2016, 21:09

Hi Karl,

Good to see you back on the forum, great that you now have a safe place to keep your equipment out of reach of the kids.

I look forward to see how your man cave eventually fills up with stuff like mine ;)

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Geoff

Post by Geoff » 06 Jan 2016, 15:37

Congratulations Karl! I'm certainly jealous of your man cave. Mine is easily intruded upon by toddlers and very much in a state of disarray.
Geoff Van Horn

Anchorage and Deadhorse Alaska

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 05 Nov 2016, 06:07

Chiming in again...

Hopefylly, a new well detector is on the way in. Trying to get my lab computer in order using a dual screen setup...

Last year has just been full throttle, I have been very busy with my new job and getting our new (from the 70s) house in order.

One important decision is to let go of a bunch of the probes I have collected over the years, and focus on (hopefully) one single probe which will be used in my efforts to quantify Cs137 in samples...
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV