Concerns about Belgian Nuclear Plants

Discussions about radiation-related science
WillemG

Concerns about Belgian Nuclear Plants

Post by WillemG » 11 Jul 2016, 22:56

Hi
Maybe an item for this forum, but it could happen with any nuclear plant..
Here I will especially address to members living in the neighbourhood of the two Belgian Nuclear Plants: Doel (near Antwerp) and Tihange (near Liege). My home is 60 km distance from Tihange.
Doel consists of 4 Blocks (built from 1975 on) and Tihange consists of 3 blocks (built from 1975 on).
Since a few years it became obvious that the oldest blocks are outdated and actually must shut down after 40 years of operation. Belgian Authorities however approved for 10 yrs continuation of operation, although many incidents occurred during the last years, with several temporary shut downs and re-startups. Obviously many technical problems occurring.
Moreover, in Doel, Block 3 and Tihange Block 2 several thousands of micro cracks in the outer metal mantle (inside under pressure) were observed, probably due to hydrogen corrosion. Some reports say that these should have been there since startup in 1982 resp. 1983; and nothing severe has occurred since...
Many discussions have been since years about safety aspects, but Belgian Authorities still approve for further operation, since they believe that the plants are safe. But still many experts are doubting the technical conclusions, as reporters are not independent.
Now we hope that here in our neighbourhood (Aachen, Nordrhein-Westfalen) not a new catastrophy as Tchernobyl or Fukushima will occur.

Our concerns here are especially: what and how to monitor radioactive material erupting from a nuclear plant when melting-down (e.g. 137 CS and 131 I), direct air monitoring or filtering (millipore filters ?) and measuring residual dust ?
But moreover: how to protect against these radioactive substances ?

Maybe some forum members here have ideas about such items- it is a new but horrorful, if you imagine what could happen here with some million people in the neighbourhood.

Willem

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Concerns about Belgian Nuclear Plants

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 12 Jul 2016, 13:56

Willem,

I'm not sure if any of the forum readers can comment on the structural integrity of those nuclear plants, but I agree it can be difficult to establish if there has been a compromise between safety and profits. As will all large organisations there is always a party interested in the status quo, and especially if government is involved etc. Nuclear plants are something in which the public take an interest in, many might want them shut down without having a solution for how the alternative power will be supplied. Maybe an upgrade to a modern design reactor is the way to go. In Australia we don't have any power generating reactors yet, and we have been managing quite nicely, but the world is looking at our carbon footprint and the Westinghouse sales team are trying very hard to convince us we need some of their latest model reactors. Big money will change hands and the public will be told about it after a decision has already been made, this is the new form of democracy.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 25 Jul 2016, 09:25

Modern deionizing resins are very efficient at removing most contamination. Without these Fukushima could have been much worse. The problem is there is no effective solution for tritium . By not having detectable isotopes to measure you're left in the dark as to how much exposure occurs. If the fuel pools at Fukushima ignited that would have been an entirely different story. That would have set off alarms worldwide. The evacuation of Tokyo and no possibility of even approaching daichhi. As concerned citizens we need to develop a practical means to measure tritium. Google Cerrie tritium

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 25 Jul 2016, 09:46

It should be noted. With the possibility of Tokyo being devastated. It was very prudent of Goldman Sachs, several months before the disaster to sell off all of their real estate holdings in Tokyo in the single largest realestate transaction in Japan's history.

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 25 Jul 2016, 10:30

Steve,

I am pretty sure someone must be doing atmospheric testing for H3, I know for a fact that laboratories such as the GNS in Wellington process air pollution samples from major cities around the world. These samples are prepared and fed into a high energy accellerator with mass spectrometer for analysis. Not sure if they can measure tritium but I am sure others can. It would be worth searching Google for any papers that might have some test results.

I understand your concerns and I think it is worth trying to set up an experiment to measure H3, but from what I have read, the background levels are so low it might not be possible to get a positive result, but I guess even a negative result is worth something.
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 25 Jul 2016, 10:42

depending on each countries standards,the minimum detection threshold changes. Yours is considered undetectable at a level incredulous to Californians.

sschrammel

Post by sschrammel » 25 Jul 2016, 11:00

Unlike natural tritium production. Man made is highly localized and transient. Dispersion and dilution are highly random occurrences. Cancers derived from the combination of acute and chronic exposure coupled with co-carcinogens is possibly our worst enemy. Any official data collection will produce data tailored to the paymaster.

WillemG

Post by WillemG » 07 Dec 2016, 22:57

The concerns about a nuclear catastrophe in the Belgian nuclear power plants are increasing. More and more political pressure is growing and legal steps are proceeding in order to force Belgian Authorities to shut down the plants where problems are most severe.
Recently an initiative has started for setting up for further measurements of radiation in the atmosphere in Aachen and surrounding villages.
Today I sent my interests to the initiators and I hope to keep in contact with them.
I am looking for other members of this forum, living in the neighbourhood of Aachen to join this initiative.
Willem