Interspec - a free gamma peak analysis software

PRA, BeqMoni, Theremino, Fitzpeaks and beyond!
elemental

Interspec - a free gamma peak analysis software

Post by elemental » 09 May 2019, 13:54

Folks,

I would like to bring to your attention a free software program that I have just discovered.
The program is called InterSpec, and has been designed to help with in analyzing gamma spectral data, from resulting peaks.
It provides functionality to identify nuclides present in a spectrum, determine source activity, investigate shielding amounts and looks at source ages.
InterSpec also provides a number of other tools including spectral file format converting, dose rate calculations, interactive nuclide decay and reference information, gamma cross section calculations, etc.
The software has different builds for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS and Android.
It appears to be very useful to identify peaks, especially for a beginner like myself.
A further positive is the PRA 22 pulse height histogram txt files can be dragged and dropped straight into the package.
It can be downloaded from the following link:
https://github.com/sandialabs/InterSpec
In addition, a useful tutorial can be found at this link:
https://github.com/sandialabs/InterSpec ... ysis_intro

Gary Reed
Willunga South

youngmaster

Re: Interspec - a free gamma peak analysis software

Post by youngmaster » 10 May 2019, 00:43

Firstly thanks for sharing, i want to analyze some Nai detector spectrum files that coded with .spe base but it has error about file type, i dont know what is model of NaI detector type but its end user model type, only see spectrum on work with some program. .spe datas looks like ortec amtec etc. data files but there is different word on file. and files below attached, i hope someone can help me about .spe files
Attachments
20190430_background.rar
(11.99 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 10 May 2019, 07:50

Gary,

Thanks for sharing, great find!

I had a little play with this software and found it to be quite user friendly and sophisticated, coming from Sandia National Laboratories I would expect no less. This is a great tool for beginners puzzled about the peaks they are seeing, because it has built in libraries for all the isotopes and shows you not only the energies but also represents the intensity by the height of the indicator.

Getting your data into Interspec is dead simple, you just export your histogram from PRA as a txt file, then drag and drop into the Interspec window, then calibrate one or two peaks and you are done.

I haven't played with the dose rates or any of those features yet, but it looks most interesting.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

cicastol

Post by cicastol » 12 May 2019, 19:54

Steven Sesselmann wrote:
10 May 2019, 07:50
Gary,

Getting your data into Interspec is dead simple, you just export your histogram from PRA as a txt file, then drag and drop into the Interspec window, then calibrate one or two peaks and you are done.

I haven't played with the dose rates or any of those features yet, but it looks most interesting.

Steven

Great software thanks !

I can't do energy calibration with PRA txt files, no problem with .SPE files generated by my MGP PDS100 ,
anyone know why standard PRA .txt files aren't good for energy calibration with this software or if there is a workaround to do it?

Thanks

P.S. Found a workaround, you need to do a rough calibration with PRA before importing to this software, then assign nuclide peak, EXIT program and then re enter with the auto last saved spectra, and will work.
Attachments
Prova137.jpg
Ciro

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 13 May 2019, 12:03

More on InterSpec,

Did a run on Th232 with a small 1.5" detector and the detector had quite a bit of non linearity, so I exported it as txt and dropped it into InterSpec. I also had to quit the software and re-open it for the calibration to work, but after doing so, it worked and all the peaks fell into place. I really like the reference peaks, because they give you confidence with the tiny peaks that are barely visible. Both energy and intensity is so much more obvious when seeing it like this rather than reading it from a table.

Steven

Interspec.png
Th232 Gamma spectrum with Interspec
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |