Scintillation detector in vacuum bag

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
cicastol

Scintillation detector in vacuum bag

Post by cicastol » 01 Jul 2019, 02:44

Hi all,
i would like to do a long term storage of my spares scintillators in a sealed vacuum bags normally used for foods , it is a safe idea for the PMT?
Thanks!
Ciro

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Scintillation detector in vacuum bag

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 01 Jul 2019, 19:58

Ciro,

Vacuum should not damage your PMT, it is a vacuum tube.

I actually made two detectors for a space agency in India, the only precaution I had to take was to fill the divider with potting compound to prevent high voltage lighting a plasma under low pressure.

I simple solution for long term storage is silica beads in an air tight container, the humidity will fall very low, I store my crystals this way.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 01 Jul 2019, 23:58

I store my moisture-sensitive crystals and probes in a plastic airtight container together with a couple of these: https://www.eva-dry.com/product/e-333-r ... umidifier/ They use silicagel beads but they're rechargeable, once the beads have absorbed moisture and change color they can be plugged in a regular electrical outlet and the built-in heater will make the moisture evaporate from the beads, then they can be used again. I store my 3D printer filament the same way.

(note that you can find them much cheaper on Amazon)

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 02 Jul 2019, 09:01

Silviu,

Nice, but you can just use any bag of silica beads, and just put them in the microwave for 10 minutes or in the oven for an hour when they need drying.
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | beejewel.com.au |

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 02 Jul 2019, 12:41

True. I like the convenoence though. Plug them in before bedtime, they're ready to go back in the box the next morning. Been using them for years. Best deal I got was 3 for $35.