Mirion PDS 100G, Spectrometric Personal Radiation Detector

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
Cosmic

Re: Mirion PDS 100G, Spectrometric Personal Radiation Detector

Post by Cosmic » 02 Nov 2019, 20:55

Hi Tom,

you have probably set the wrong port number in Bluetooth Settings.
You might look at the settings in the device manager which ports have been assigned to the bluetooth serial connection.
Unfortunately I currently haven't a Win 10 machine available to give you step by step instructions.
Stefan

iRad

Post by iRad » 02 Nov 2019, 23:17

Thanks, that is what I initially thought and had already checked. Windows has assigned port 3 and 4 to bluetooth. When I use port 3 in the com configuration I get the message at the lower left of the PdsMass screen that says "Communication is initialized".
I also get a "green B" in the bluetooth symbol on the lower right of screen (as seen in pictures). When I try port 4 (or any other port), I get comm error message and a red B in the bluetooth symbol.
initialized.jpg
Communication is initialized
initialized.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 193 times
I do not get any errors on the PDS-100G. It goes through its startup with no errors checking the bluetooth module and no errors when waiting for communications.
Last edited by iRad on 03 Nov 2019, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

Cosmic

Post by Cosmic » 03 Nov 2019, 00:02

Hi Tom,

as I rember on the PC Bluetooth must be set to detectable/discoverable
Stefan

iRad

Post by iRad » 03 Nov 2019, 14:30

Stefan - The first picture I posted showed that Bluetooth was on and discoverable. Additionally the picture shows (highlighted in yellow) that the device "PDS A11595" (which is the PDS-100G) is "Paired". So I'm still at a loss as to why the PdsMass will not communicate, when it appears that WinOS sees the device.
Bluetooth paired.jpg
Bluetooth paired.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 182 times

iRad

Post by iRad » 03 Nov 2019, 16:02

I removed the device from Bluetooth and re-paired it with my laptop PC several times and nothing happened. Uninstalled and reinstalled Bluetooth drivers in the OS device manager and nothing happened. Uninstalled and reinstalled the PdsMass application and all is working now. Uninstalling and reinstalling the application did not erase any of my settings, registration or the new userID I created in the software.

First thing I did after establishing communication with the PDS was to load and save all the original PDS configuration parameters before I go and muck things up. Too late to start messing with anything else now, but I'll get a better nights sleep knowing it’s at least communicating.

iRad

Post by iRad » 04 Nov 2019, 03:43

Ran some spectrums this morning...
Cs137.jpg
Cs137
Cs137
Co60.jpg
Co60
Co60
Am241.jpg
Am241
Am241
Lu176.jpg
Lu176 (LYSO Crystals)
Lu176 (LYSO Crystals)
Natural uranium.jpg
Natural Uranium Ore
Natural Uranium Ore

These spectrums were taken with the calibration and parameters as the unit was received. Fairly happy so far with the results, and a very nice little device for the money. Biggest disappointment so far is not being able to do a live spectrum and not having an iPhone or iPad App.

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 05 Nov 2019, 01:31

Hi Tom,
Congratulations! I respond too late to your already solved problem, but just to mention it for possible future users: I had the same problem like you, correctly set COM port number, discoverable device, but no initialization and communication was possible. I tried everything that came to my mind, Massimo also did his best to help me (thanks for that), but the first day or two I didn't get the good night sleep you mentioned above. Reinstalling the software didn't help in my case, but changing the blue-tooth (BT) driver did! Short before receiving the PDS-100G I bought a BT dongle, since my laptop is quite old and didn't have a BT module. The dongle came with a link from the manufacturer, where a BT driver could be downloaded. Strange enough, but it turned that this driver was the problem, because when I downloaded some other compatible one, the problem was solved.
Svilen

iRad

Post by iRad » 05 Nov 2019, 01:49

Svilen - Good to know, as I thought perhaps there was some internal problem with the bluetooth adapter on the PDS itself that was not reporting an error on startup of the PDS (which it checks). I was worried that I would have to send it back to the UK for a replacement. Hopefully our experience will help others. Also a big thanks for help from Massimo, Ciro, and Stefan!!!