My Fukushima report

Share your spectra and discuss their features here
Janni

Re: My Fukushima report

Post by Janni » 23 Dec 2019, 08:35

I also found an old like abandoned temple that was in the forest on a hill and I went upstairs some old crooked stairs. It was very quiet here and somehow beautiful. Here I took a sample of the soil to analyze at home. Dose rate of the sample is just about 0,1µSv/h, but with impulse probe for beta radiation you find some cps.

So here comes the spectrum. It shows very good peaks of Cs-137 and Cs-134.
Fukushima Erde Probe 1 PDS100.png
spectrum of sample with PDS 100
Fukushima Erde Probe 1.png
spectrum of same sample with HPGe detector
After exploring a lot of places in that area and walking a lot I had to find a way to get back to my hotel in Fukushima city because it was already getting dark. So the bus station in Kawamata was several kilometers away and as I remember buses went from there only two times a day, I thought it makes no sense try to get there. Looking for a taxi was also useless because there was almost no traffic even on the main roads.

So the closest big city to the place was Minamisoma and I had the idea to hitchhike there and from there take a train. So I walked to one main road and hoped this plan would work as traffic even on the main road was only one or two cars per hour. But one car stopped and the driver dropped me at the next crossroad, then from there another car took me to Minamisoma, from where I took a train to Fukushima city according the plan.

When I arrived it was already late evening. It was a day with a lot of experiences like hiking, exploring, challenging tasks like getting around this not touristic area and trying to understand Japanese signs, and meeting very friendly and helpful people and looking for a sample to analyze! :-)

So thanks for attention to my Fukushima story!!!

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » 24 Dec 2019, 00:27

Beautiful report, Janni, detailed and very interesting!
Daniel, Italy

MartinM

Post by MartinM » 24 Dec 2019, 03:05

Great report Janni, thanks!
Just out of interest - how close to the NPP is it possible to get? I suppose that unlike Chernobyl, the entire NPP area is off limits?

BTW: if anyone is interested in some measurement from Chernobyl, I uploaded some photos of my trip a few years ago here: https://www.hwinfo.com/Chernobyl/Personal/measurements/
Sampling place is in the filename and it's only dose-rate measurements as I didn't want to risk taking samples from that area (and there were quite a few hot spots I'd love to investigate)..

Janni

Post by Janni » 29 Dec 2019, 01:59

Thanks for comments!

Martin, the closest distance to the power plant is about 2km, if I remember that correct. I even visited directly the power plant because I could participate on a workshop. But taking photos was not allowed and I don't want to write too much about it. Not because I saw a secret, just because I think this is more internal.

Thanks also for sharing your Chernobyl photos! I have also been there for different times, the last time was just this year in September. It is now possible for tourists to visit control room of unit 4 and unit 3 reactor hall. It was so interesting. Also I found some nice hotspots in the exclusion zone. A report about that trip will also follow.

By the way, I know your software because my boyfriend uses it and likes it very much!

Matthew

Post by Matthew » 04 Jan 2020, 20:34

Interesting to read your Fukushima report. Thanks so much. Seems like different to laying on the beach and just hanging around ;-)

Was the temple abandoned because of the accident?

Conor Whyte

Post by Conor Whyte » 11 Feb 2020, 14:57

Please have a look at this video by Mackenzie Shepherd...
I used to live nearby where this was shot. This video hit me like a tonne of bricks.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/35676569

https://vimeo.com/mackenziesheppard/yoshisblend