Help wiring a crismatec 1.25" NaI (Ti) scintillator.

Discussions about radiation-related science
James Luck

Help wiring a crismatec 1.25" NaI (Ti) scintillator.

Post by James Luck » 08 Feb 2020, 16:44

I've recently became the owner of a Crismatec 1.25" well type scintillator. This is possibly a Bicron or Saint Gobain scintillator also. the scintillator has a wire toggle and circuit board attached with what appears to be a 12 volt wire, a shielded Gnd and respective signal out, and a high voltage.

The detectors information is as follows,
Type: 32 SPE 50
Serial: NaI (Ti) A 573
crismatec 77140 NEMOURS FRANCE.

i have been unsuccessful on finding any data on this, if anyone has any ideas on wiring and operation it would be appreciated. I'm hopping i could get away from the data connector, and use a two connector system, if not i guess i could make a adapter to my computer.
-James
James luck
Chicago Ill, USA.
Hobbyist, primary meter: refurbished Eberline Esp-1.
Probe: 3 inch plastic scintillator kit from iradinc.

luuk

Re: Help wiring a crismatec 1.25" NaI (Ti) scintillator.

Post by luuk » 08 Feb 2020, 19:21

Hi James,
I saw it on eBay ,it is probably a custom made model so it will be very difficult to get data/info about it.
Best is to open the back and try to see if you can get directly to the pmt connector/wires.
Then it should be possible to connect it.
Some picture from the electronics might help too.
Luuk

James Luck

Post by James Luck » 08 Feb 2020, 21:21

luuk wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 19:21
Hi James,
I saw it on eBay ,it is probably a custom made model so it will be very difficult to get data/info about it.
Best is to open the back and try to see if you can get directly to the pmt connector/wires.
Then it should be possible to connect it.
Some picture from the electronics might help too.
Luuk
Thank you for the reply, ill post some pictures of it to here later into the day. im on midnight scheduled so ill be getting some rest before hand.
-James
James luck
Chicago Ill, USA.

James Luck

Post by James Luck » 09 Feb 2020, 10:37

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Here's a link to the photos of the Crismatec. it appears the body is pressed together, im going to continue fiddling.
James luck
Chicago Ill, USA.

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 09 Feb 2020, 12:45

James,

I would get rid of the circuit board and focus on identifying the four wires that come from the detector. Note the board has some letters next to these four wires but I cant quite read it.

You can assume one wire is ground and one is HV bias, so that leaves the other two to identify.

Steven

luuk

Post by luuk » 09 Feb 2020, 23:09

Hi James,
Looking at your picture it looks like the thick white wire is HV (pos or neg?)
The coax center is signal the coax shield is ground, and the red wire is probably low power for the amplifier I would expect +5 or +12 Volt.
You could give it a try!
Luuk

James Luck

Post by James Luck » 11 Feb 2020, 19:46

luuk wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 23:09
Hi James,
Looking at your picture it looks like the thick white wire is HV (pos or neg?)
The coax center is signal the coax shield is ground, and the red wire is probably low power for the amplifier I would expect +5 or +12 Volt.
You could give it a try!
Luuk
Hey thanks Luuk, yes the coaxial cable is signal, with respective ground, its high voltage is positive, and the red says 12 volts in.
on other news i found a Bicron number to try to look into. with the finding of this number came the finding of another listing from someone else of the same detector with wire harness and circuit. the persons listing says tested good for operability, which makes me think i could possibly ask them the running voltage if known. As that is my biggest hurdle to pass. i expect something around 1 kv to 1.5 kv.

The Bicron number is ( 1.26 WM 1 .968/1.12L-XX ) I'm not vary profound at Bicrons serial number to data. so it'll be sometime to decipher.

-James

On a side note Luuk isn't your name pronounced in English as Luke? I can remember my last name in German as Luke, being its luck.
James luck
Chicago Ill, USA.

James Luck

Post by James Luck » 11 Feb 2020, 20:10

Here's some links to similar listings for essentially the same probe i picked up, i think it was surplus from many companies or government departments, but without the running equipment. probably scrapped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicron-Gamma-S ... SwoUZbvSOb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrismatec-Bic ... 0438!US!-1

So i'm likely not the only one trying to figure these out, im also guessing that the data sheets are lost to time, prob when everyone merged under Saint-Gobain.
If everything eventually works out ill likely buy another its a nice small detector, rugged in build, with a sizable well for sampling ( something i've wanted to do)
James luck
Chicago Ill, USA.