Greetings from France

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Stratal83

Greetings from France

Post by Stratal83 » 13 Mar 2020, 03:01

Hi everyone and thank you for having me !

I'm Alain, I'm 37 and I live in France next to the german border. I'm currently a technology teacher and I've been interested in sciences since I was a child. I've recently purchased a Geiger Counter (GMC-320 plus) to do some radiactivity scouting on some ceramics and glassware I own. That's how I got growing interests in radiation detecting and now I really would like to be able to do more especially gamma spectrometry !

I've discovered this nice forum while looking for a gamma spectrometer. I haven't made my mind yet, but I would like to find one that would be sensitive enough to detect Cs137 traces in soil while not being to expensive, since it is something new for me. I'll do some more reading and I would be thankful for any tips to help me to making the right pick !
Alain, France

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Greetings from France

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 14 Mar 2020, 09:01

Hello Alain,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro.

Putting together a spectrometer to measure Cs-137 and other isotopes is no problem, you will find all the information you need here.

The detector is the most expensive component, but it is not so difficult to make your own (if you like that kind of thing).

I hear things are a bit crazy in France at the moment, so stay safe and carry your geiger counter, that way people may keep a good distance :)

Steven

Stratal83

Re: Greetings from France

Post by Stratal83 » 14 Mar 2020, 20:23

Hi Steven and thank you for your welcome,

I live in the countryside and things aren't bad there and indeed, I'll keep playing with my counter ;)

Regarding the DIY detectors, I've considered it, however sourcing the different parts I need from different places makes the total shipping cost and border taxes much too high (it's still worth for high end stuff but I'm not there yet). So I think I'll start my journey across gamma spectroscopy with a reliable used and refurbished detector. This will be good enough to learn while making nice experiments. I'll see then if I need something better and I might try to build one myself. BTW I've seen browsing the forum that you've put together some real monsters ! Amazing Job !

Cheers,
Alain, France