Hi all new and old users

New members please introduce yourself here.
brehwens

Hi all new and old users

Post by brehwens » 30 Apr 2015, 04:37

Hi guys!

All current users probably know a bit about me, but since we have launched this new forum and hopefully get new members, I thought it would be nice to reintroduce myself.

I have a background (MSc) in molecular biology/toxicology, and a PhD (2014) in radiation biology from Stockholm University. The focus of my research was biological effects of ionizing radiation, and factors that modulate this response. I am currently transitioning out of academia to the industry.

My former supervisor sparked my interest for radiation detection by his collection of vintage geiger counters etc. I got a geiger counter, but soon felt it was not fulfilling my curiosity. I then came into contact with "the community", first with Steven Sesselmann and then with the members of the Yahoo "gamma spectrometry" forum.

Over the last 3 years I have developed my setup to include a 3-5 cm lead castle, and NaI probes of various models and usages. Lately, I have focused my efforts on the quantification of Cs137 in Swedish soils, as we got quite som Chernobyl fallout back in 1986. I am fortunate to have a contact at the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority who is a radiochemist with 7 years IAEA experience. He is very helpful in my quantification efforts and has alot of methods expertise which he shares.

Apart from gamma spectrometry, I also spend my spare time (the little I have with two young sons) playing the trombone.

/Karl
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Trax

Re: Hi all new and old users

Post by Trax » 01 May 2015, 12:08

Is that a double trigger bass trombone?

brehwens

Re: Hi all new and old users

Post by brehwens » 01 May 2015, 20:50

Trax,

No, it is a regular Conn 88H from -91 with a normal F-attachment.

I actually traded this horn in about a year ago after faithful service since -98. As a PhD defense gift to myself, I instead bought a spanking brand new Bach Stradivarius 42G LT, that is a model 42 with a goldbrass bell and a lightweight nickel slide, equipped with an "infinity" flow valve (Thayer).
42AF_600.jpg
42AF_600.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
I enjoy the new horn alot, still I have some "running in" to do on the slide but I am getting there.

Do you play yourself?
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV