Pigs might fly !

How to build the perfect shield for your measurements? Discuss it here!
Sesselmann

Pigs might fly !

Post by Sesselmann » 05 Jul 2019, 14:49

Hi all,

Needless to say, lead pigs will never fly, but for fun, I designed this handy pig to store up to 10 of those little 1" calibration discs from Spectrum techniques. The Pig prints in four parts and assembles with one M8 socket head bolt and a few small self tapping screws. Once assembled it can be filled with small lead shot.

I printed a prototype, and it all goes together quite nicely. I don't have any suitable lead shot on hand, so I haven't been able to test the attenuation with an actual source yet.

If you have a 3D printer and want one of these, the files are attached. WARNING, some components take more than 6 hours to print.

Once I have tested this product properly I might add it on my site as an accessory, I imagine it would be handy in a university lab for storing a few discs in.
GS-PIG Source Container
GS-PIG Source Container
pig2.jpg (56.65 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
GS-PIG Source Container
GS-PIG Source Container
pig1.jpg (65.1 KiB) Viewed 5538 times
Attachments
GS-PIG.zip
STL Files of all components
(984.76 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

luuk

Re: Pigs might fly !

Post by luuk » 05 Jul 2019, 20:45

Hi Steven,
Great idea and a nice design, interesting!
Luuk
p.s. I took this picture a long time ago, so I am sure pigs do can fly!
Attachments
flying pig.jpg
flying pig.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 5516 times

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 06 Jul 2019, 02:54

Well this pig might fly if you put it (empty) in your luggage. :)

I checked the files, it looks like it would have 3cm of lead shielding over top and bottom but only 1cm around the sides. Still should be more than enough. Also the orientation the parts show up in slic3r as is not appropriate for printing as-is (they're sideways) but that's easily corrected by the end-user before printing.

Nice design. Might be extended easily to accommodate 12-15 discs if needed, though I don't know why someone would have that many.

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 06 Jul 2019, 09:26

Silviu,

Thanks for feedback, I removed the files again this morning after I found a bug, so don't print these, I will upload a new set after I have made it and tested it properly.

The reason I did not extend the source container all the way around is because there is little or no shielding in the middle where the bolt is, so any sources in line with the opening dont have much shielding, hope that makes sense.

Steven

stamasd

Post by stamasd » 06 Jul 2019, 10:21

Don't worry I'm not about to print them. I only have 2 disc sources and they have their own shield each. If/when I acquire more I'll give your design a go. :)

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 07 Jul 2019, 13:58

Okay, here it is, the finished product.

Filled with lead shot, it's hard to imagine these pigs flying out the door, but I'm sure ducks will love them!

Steven :)
Attachments
Finished PIG
Finished PIG