Shielding Build

How to build the perfect shield for your measurements? Discuss it here!
programmer1200

Shielding Build

Post by programmer1200 » 13 Mar 2022, 05:47

The main build was PVC and I 3d printed a sample holder. I know this is much more copper than necessary but I thought I would experiment and see what would happen if filled the copper piping with the lead, it will probably create no difference at all but I thought it would be fun to try. Lead shot has been hard to find and cost a ton here but finally found some, still on the hunt for some pewter. Planning on sealing the lead shot in with epoxy just so it doesn't get out.

Zachary Marlow
r3.jpg
r2 - Copy.jpg
r1 - Copy.jpg
Last edited by programmer1200 on 13 Mar 2022, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sesselmann

Re: Shielding Build

Post by Sesselmann » 13 Mar 2022, 10:12

programmer1200 (please sign posts with your real name,

PVC is an easy and cheap material to work with. Your design resembles the way I used to make my PVC shields, although I am a bit confused about where you intend placing the detector. I recently changed my design to a straight cylinder, with a 3D printed plug on top. This made construction quite a bit simpler.

https://www.gammaspectacular.com/blue/i ... 00x800.jpg

Steven

programmer1200

Re: Shielding Build

Post by programmer1200 » 14 Mar 2022, 01:41

The photo order was a little confusing the first photo shows the interior of the bottom where the lead and other blocking material is being placed this is sealed in using a rubber plug . The detector will be lowered down the tube and once gets here I'll design and 3d print a fitting to hold the detector at a specific distance from the sample.

Zachary Marlow
r2.jpg
r1.jpg