Bicron detector wiring

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
Svilen

Bicron detector wiring

Post by Svilen » 23 Sep 2016, 04:46

Hi All,
I recently got an used GS-1100A2 and I just bought one Bicron 1.5m2.25/1.5l detector (from eBay), but I'm not sure how to wire it. The coaxial cable is the signal clearly, but what about the thin red/white/black ? I guess the black is the HV, but not sure. Thanks in advance for your help. Here is a pic of it:

Svilen

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Bicron detector wiring

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 23 Sep 2016, 08:13

Trinity,

If I am not mistaken these wires can be configured in two different ways, with split signal or HV straight to anode.

Since it cant be opened you have to try and figure out which is which.

I cant be sure, but one wire might go straight to the anode (likely to be the red) , one may go through a load resistor then to anode, so maybe you will measure 1M ohm between it and the red one. One is likely to be ground and one will go to the coupling capacitor.

Use a multimeter and solve the puzzle.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 23 Sep 2016, 09:24

Thank you Steven! I'll measure the resistance between the red and the others and report it. Are there other measurements that I can do?
Svilen

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 23 Sep 2016, 19:29

Unfortunately, I measured just an infinite resistance between every pair :( Is that also possible or does it surely means that something burned in the voltage divider? If no other way maybe I still have to try opening it before throwing it away...
Svilen

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 23 Sep 2016, 19:45

It's very unlikely for something to burn, the only way to kill a pmt is to power it up in daylight.

The only components in there are resistors and high voltage capacitors, so you can safely try connecting the GS.

Did you at least identify ground?
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 23 Sep 2016, 20:58

Yes, I guess it is quite robust and I don't hear broken glass particles inside when I shake it, so maybe there is a hope :) The shielding of the coaxial cable is connected to the housing, nothing else I was able to find. How would you advice me to connect it? I read somewhere for scionix detector (well, maybe the circuit is different) that they connected the black to HV, Red+coaxial shielding to ground and white left open... unfortunately there is no much info in the web about these detectors (or I don't find it).
Svilen

luuk

Post by luuk » 23 Sep 2016, 22:12

Hello ???(your real name please),
I may have a diagram for you from a simular Scionix detector.
Luuk

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 23 Sep 2016, 23:28

Svilen is my real name, is Luuk yours ? If you think my bicron detector wiring could be the same - please show it. Thanks.
Svilen

luuk

Post by luuk » 24 Sep 2016, 05:29

Hello Svelen,
yes, that is my name!
We use to make these detectors and I know that Bicron use made them to for the same customer.

Kind regards,
Luuk
Attachments
38B5 1.5M E1.jpg
38B5 1.5M E1.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Svilen

Post by Svilen » 24 Sep 2016, 06:40

Nice to meet you Luuk. Thanks for the diagram. Than HV goes to anode through the black wire, but still what is the best way to connect the others to the GS? Red and white together? I think I still need advice from the more experienced people like you here...
Svilen