Help on identifying what is this Harshaw detector

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
MarceloArantes

Help on identifying what is this Harshaw detector

Post by MarceloArantes » 25 Mar 2017, 08:47

Hi, sorry if this is not the right place to post this but I need some help here. I am from Brazil and found this old Harshaw detector on my garage. This was from my grandfather and it's with me for about 14 years already.
I need to know if it is usable for someone or if it is just thrash today.
Thanks for your help!
20170324_183934.jpg
20170324_183934.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1044 times
20170324_183930.jpg
20170324_183930.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 1044 times

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Help on identifying what is this Harshaw detector

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 25 Mar 2017, 14:59

Marcelo,

Thanks for posting.

It looks like it was nice detector, and it may still be a nice detector. I think it may be possible to unscrew the sleeve at the front and remove the encapsulated crystal. This will allow you to clean the glass and look at the crystal itself. If it is yellow and foggy it may have seen its best days, but if it is clear and white, you may still have a good detector.

When you refit the crystal back onto the photon multiplier tube, you will need to apply some silicone oil as a coupling fluid. If you don't have any silicone oil you could use a few drops of mineral oil. The purpose is just to provide an optical interface between the PMT and the crystal.

Note, you must never power up the PMT without the crystal in place, as it will strip the photo sensitive coating off the cathode.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |