Nice demonstration setup at the Nuclear Science Symposium

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
Steven Sesselmann

Nice demonstration setup at the Nuclear Science Symposium

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 28 Oct 2017, 20:38

One of my clients in Germany Hellma Materials, who manufacture exotic scintillation crystals like Cerium Bromide, sent me a nice picture of a demonstration setup using a couple of GS-1100-PRO with a switch box and a laptop computer.

I understand the objective of the table top experiment is an audible comparison between Hellma materials and competitors materials, presumably Hellma crystals have lower background counts.

Those of you who appreciate the cost of a good CeBr3 crystal, might want to take a guess at what that 108 mm block on the right might be worth.

Steven

Facts about CeBr (NaI)
Density: ~5.2 (3.67)
Luminosity: 68,000 (43,000) photons per MeV
Pulse decay Time: 17 (60) ns
Emission peak: 371 (415) nm

Source: Table by Stephen Derenzo, Martin Boswell, Marvin Weber and Kathleen Brennan at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Notes:
Due to the fast timing of CeBr3 compared to NaI, it apparently works better with 8 stage PMT's and low bias voltage, else it is likely that the PMT will saturate. Bias voltages may be as much as 30% lower than those recommended for NaI.
If I recall correctly we had some issues with the standard GS-PRO due to the ultra short pulse length, and I made some modification to the RC filter to make it more acceptable for sound card sampling. I never had the chance to try one of these detectors myself, but hope to get a small crystal at some point and run some tests on it.

Picture taken at the 2017 Nuclear Science Symposium
hellma_materials.jpg
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

luuk

Re: Nice demonstration setup at the Nuclear Science Symposium

Post by luuk » 29 Oct 2017, 05:17

Yes CeBr3 is a great scintillator but a little expensive for hobby use.
Prijs is around 95/cc so it depends how long the 108mm crystals is but lets say also 108mm long then the price will be around 94000 that just out of my budget.
Luuk

Steven Sesselmann

Re: Nice demonstration setup at the Nuclear Science Symposium

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 29 Oct 2017, 07:46

Here is download link to a poster with information specific to Hellma Materials CeBr3 products.
cebr3-poster.pdf
Hellma Materials Poster (2.3 MB)
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 152 times
Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |