2"by 2" well detector

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
Boris

2"by 2" well detector

Post by Boris » 18 Apr 2018, 21:03

Hi all,

Long time no post, but now the forum works fine and I had some time...

Some time ago a box of PMT's and detectors was given to me, and i'm currently checking out what is usable.
so I assembled a 2"well detector and am running some tests with it.
my measurements are in de attached PDF, home it makes sense I'm hoping to create some kind of benchmark setup for the detector, so any help or info more than welcome.

Kind regards, Boris.
Attachments
Testing the 2 by 2 well detector.pdf
(262.24 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Steven Sesselmann

Re: 2"by 2" well detector

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 19 Apr 2018, 11:15

Boris,

Nice work of finding the voltage plateau and lucky find with the detector, looks like you have a good instrument there. A good well detector is excellent for low level sample analysis.

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Boris

Post by Boris » 20 Apr 2018, 15:58

O,O Steven, the day before yesterday I shorted the gsPro, accidently, and I'm a bit afraid I blew one op de opamps out,very low output signal....ordered a handful of new opamps, and keep my fingers crossed...

Hope they arrive today, and that is will fix my problem, any idea which one dies first, the one closed to the HV BNC connector?

Cheers, Boris.

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » 20 Apr 2018, 19:10

Hi Boris, sorry to hear about your GS. It's not common for the opamp to die, but it's almost the only component that can die, so chances are you're right. Usually I tape a spare one to the underside of the lid, but obviously your's didn't have one.

Just a guess, but if the output signal is very low, have you by any chance switched the dip switch to two wire mode?

Worth checking..

Steven
Steven Sesselmann | Sydney | Australia | gammaspectacular.com | groundpotential.org | rephopper.com | beejewel.com.au |

Boris

Post by Boris » 20 Apr 2018, 21:19

Steven, I ordered 6 op-amps, because the cost about 40 cents each...and hope for the best.
Will check out the switch!

Last option is de pc soundcard, no worries there it an old-timer dual core, so nothing is lost...
The forum works fine now Steven, a few weeks ago I had many problems trying to connect

Cheers, Boris.