CsI(Tl) and SiPMs?

Scintillation crystals, PMTs, voltage dividers etc...
Cole W36

CsI(Tl) and SiPMs?

Post by Cole W36 » 30 Oct 2021, 06:26

Hello,
So this is my first project involving gamma spectroscopy and I want to build a SiPM based spectrometer that can read isotopes in the air as it flows by and then transmit the results to either my phone or a 433 MHz reciever in my room but I can't really find any details on such an idea.
Would it go CsI(Tl)-> SiPM->preamplifier->amplifier->ADC->MCU->DSP->transmitter?
I am using 3 × (9 by 9 by 30 mm) crystals supplied by Scionix by the way.

Cole W36

Re: CsI(Tl) and SiPMs?

Post by Cole W36 » 31 Oct 2021, 01:27

To simplify what i'm trying to do is I'm trying to figure out how to take 3 x MicroFC-60035's (and reduce crosstalk between them), and then amplify and shape the signals to a decent enough quality for detection by the ADC and then the processor (a Arduino UNO) to send it to either a screen or a bluetooth module.

luuk

Post by luuk » 31 Oct 2021, 04:50

Hi Cole?
I don't see a problem, if you simply separate the crystals and the sipm's by e.g. aluminum foil there is no crosstalk at all.
Luuk

sgt_bear

Post by sgt_bear » 01 Nov 2021, 03:30

Cole W36 wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 01:27
To simplify what i'm trying to do is I'm trying to figure out how to take 3 x MicroFC-60035's (and reduce crosstalk between them), and then amplify and shape the signals to a decent enough quality for detection by the ADC and then the processor (a Arduino UNO) to send it to either a screen or a bluetooth module.
Please also note that you have to stretch the signal coming from the SIPM. Digitizing of the "pure" SIPM Signal would require a very fast ADC, which would result in a way to high data-rate for an Arduino Uno!
I recommend to stretch the signal to at least the level that is suitable for sound-card spectroscopy. That should be slow enough.

If you are interested in bluethoot, i recommend taking a look at the ESP-32 Modules, which also can run Arduino. They are much faster than the UNO too.
I could upload a schematic of a pulse stretcher and power supply if you are interested.
- Jonathan from Switzerland