Calibrating a Victoreen 290

Gamma spectacular, theremino adapters, non-sound card based, etc...
glhansen

Calibrating a Victoreen 290

Post by glhansen » 01 Apr 2022, 01:08

These forums seem to be mainly about scintillators, but maybe radiation detection is radiation detection.

I've been puzzling over a Victoreen 290, I've never worked on one of these before. On the back of the main board I see a blue rotary switch on the left that I understand sets the function of the meter, leave it alone. (It is currently on zero.) And a pot on the right, which doesn't actually seem to do anything.

Of course I haven't been able to find a manual. It is currently "supported" by Fluke Biomedical, although no technicians are available. I was hoping someone here would know.
Greg Hansen

Sesselmann

Re: Calibrating a Victoreen 290

Post by Sesselmann » 01 Apr 2022, 07:56

Greg,

I'm not familiar with the 290, but I am ure someone here can help you. Might help if you post a picture of the unit and the circuit board.

I want to add a repository on this forum for old manuals ..

Steven

glhansen

Post by glhansen » 01 Apr 2022, 23:52

A manual repository is an excellent idea, I would raid it for sure!

Here's the top and inside of the Victoreen 290 (there's obviously a selector switch under the handle). Simply turning the pot on the right doesn't seem to do anything, and I don't have a guide to the rotary switch on the left. There are other pots inside mounted so that you have to disassemble the circuit boards to work them, so I'm assuming they're not meant to be routinely fiddled with. (The sticker on the top left says "DO NOT USE x1000 RANGE.)
Vic290_inside.png
Vic290_top.png
Greg Hansen

amorris

Post by amorris » 30 Jul 2022, 01:05

If I recall correctly, and I'd have to dive into our calibration files to check, I think that dial needs to be set to "A" to calibrate and then back to "0" for normal operation. At least, I seem to recall that as a note on calibration certificates we issue.
Aaron Morris
RSSI