GS-USB-PRO V3.2 Not working

Gamma spectacular, theremino adapters, non-sound card based, etc...
Tommaso

GS-USB-PRO V3.2 Not working

Post by Tommaso » 04 Oct 2023, 03:14

I bought a GS-USB-PRO V3.2 last year and it worked great but suddenly has started producing a orribile noise (i mean in the audio signal). I unplugged everything immediately, but now it doesn’t work anymore… i hear silent and if i change the volume i hear the terribile noise (only at a certain volume level),
I thought at first it was the variable resistance of the volume selection but I think it works i tested it with a multimeter but my electronics skill aren’t the best…
Any suggestions?
Thanks tommaso.
Ps.(sorry for my English)

iRad

Re: GS-USB-PRO V3.2 Not working

Post by iRad » 04 Oct 2023, 07:28

Could be the op-amp. I’m sure Steven will take good care of you.
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 04 Oct 2023, 08:28

Tommaso,

The problem you describe is not so common, but here are a few things to check.

1) A loud noisy signal can be caused by voltage breakdown across the big capacitors, this is usually heard as a periodic "clicking" sound. The cause of such breakdown can be humidity in the air or some dirt on the circuit board. It can usually be fixed by cleaning the board with a bit of PCB cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry.

2) Check for a loose grounding wire and check if the usb connector is contacting the metal enclosure

3) If you have no audio signal, the OpAmp is dead (Texas Instruments LM6142) it is easy to change and costs around $4.00. I can send one from here but faster if you can order one locally (I will owe you a coffee)

Any other components are extremely unlikely to fail less than a 1 : 1000 chance, but if you can't get it working, juts send me an email and I can get you a replacement 👍

Steven

Tommaso

Post by Tommaso » 04 Oct 2023, 16:46

Thanks for the fast replay and the suggestion Steven, today I’ll check it with a phd in electronics i’m sure we will find and fix the problem.

Tommaso

Post by Tommaso » 05 Oct 2023, 09:05

Hi Steven, today we checked the board and unfortunately the capacitor from where we get the signal shorted out the professor says that almost surely there is nothing to do but he wants the circuit schematics anyway to check can you send them? we didn’t had the op-amp in lab (we hope that the hv just broke the op amp without getting to the cip) so we order it in a few days we will try changing that hopping good…

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 05 Oct 2023, 15:03

Tommaso,

Let me know how you go when you get the replacement Opamp, and if that does not help I will send you a replacement unit.

Circuit diagram is in my head, so not so easy to email 🤣

Steven

Tommaso

Post by Tommaso » 05 Oct 2023, 16:47

Could you make just the schematics for the op-amp (not that we need it to replace it), the professor wanted to now where the op-amp pin are connected to. Hand written is fine

Tommaso

Post by Tommaso » 17 Oct 2023, 08:11

Sorry to say that today we have replaced the op amp but still nothing….. guess i have to buy a new one……
Very sad….🥲

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 18 Oct 2023, 08:13

Tommaso,

Don't panic, lifetime guarantee on the GS hardware (my lifetime 🤣), as of this morning I am still here 👍

I will send you a replacement and maybe you can post the faulty one back to me by cheapest mail.

Please email or PM me with your order number or date of order.

Steven