Hello

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
jneilson

Hello

Post by jneilson » 21 May 2024, 05:18

Hello and greetings from Oxfordshire UK. I'm a radiometric scientist working professionally on gamma spec and neutron detection, and I'm also interested in hobbyist radiation detection - I've developed a small personal collection of detector parts and radioactive bits and bobs.

My professional career has covered a range of radiometric physics roles including at radiochemical lab, a manufacturer/system integrator for detector systems, and currently radiometrics within fusion research.

Sesselmann

Re: Hello

Post by Sesselmann » 21 May 2024, 12:27

Hello J,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have an interesting job, so I look forward to hearing more and learning from you.

I was playing around with neutron detection last week and recorded some background spectra, this recording was taken during the day.

30 minute average 60-70 counts (120-140 cph).
Northbridge Neutron Background
Northbridge Neutron Background
Steven

PS: Good idea to add a signature to your posts, can be done from the UCP.

jneilson

Post by jneilson » 25 May 2024, 07:07

Thanks Steven

Interesting way to show the recording with a moving average like that - I guess that's commonly the approach in dosimetry applications, but personally if it's a count-rate thing I'm much more used to simple counts per entirely separate time bin, or the other extreme of full list-mode data - but that's probably because I was looking more at coincidence and multiplicity measurements where you're looking to see if several neutrons come all together from a fission event.

If you're looking at cosmic neutrons, a nice little experiment you can try is adding varying quantities of lead to generate more neutrons from spallation. Actually, I've got colleagues who've been refining the designs for a new space weather neutron monitor which uses that principle at a significant scale - there's a paper on the preliminary work at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 022400322X

Joseph

PS: sorted the signature thing per your suggestion, thanks.

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 25 May 2024, 09:50

Joe,

Thanks for the link to the paper, looks interesting will read.

I still have a bit more work to do on the Impulse count rate page. Thinking of adding absolute start and end time to the data file, also showing this on the page, maybe an option to show absolute time on the x-axis could be useful, dont know.

Steven