Tim from New South Wales

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Tim Mitchell

Tim from New South Wales

Post by Tim Mitchell » 18 Nov 2015, 22:46

Hi all, my name is Tim and I am an Australian, living on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales. I am a blacksmith, knifemaker, researcher, Bible translation editor, electronics guy, inventor, former Ham and many other things :)

I built my first geiger counter from parts when I was living in the US about 15 years ago and I think it still has the same battery in it even! It is a great little ticker with a mini beta and gamma tube.

I am interested in setting up a live monitoring station in our area as well as making a gamma spec. setup for testing food water etc. I would like to see more of a network being setup in Australia for independent monitoring of general fallout levels as well as building a knowledge base / reference for training up others who would like to become proficient in operating and interpreting results from these sort of systems.

I will be rolling my own Scintillator probe and possibly designing my own driver unit... just for fun. I look forward to getting to know many of the group here and expanding my knowledge of this area of physics.

G'day from the biggest Island on earth! :)
Regards,
Tim.

Sesselmann

Re: Tim from New South Wales

Post by Sesselmann » 19 Nov 2015, 16:47

Tim,

Welcome to the forum, you bring with you many skills and experiences, some skills will prove very useful here and others maybe not so much.

In any case we lookforward to your contributions.

Steven

Tim Mitchell

Post by Tim Mitchell » 14 Dec 2015, 19:47

Thanks Steven, I look forward to learning more and contributing what I am able.

Tim.

AnomalySmith

Post by AnomalySmith » 15 Dec 2015, 04:15

Hi Tim and welcome!

I'm also interested in monitoring the radiation on large areas and began to build a geiger network composed of geiger module and embedded server in France to build an OpenData knowledge base, that's the main purpose of my just-birth association.

Also, have you already heard about Safecast, they've done an amazing work with there mobile logging bGeigies?

Feel free to contact me for further detail :)

Yvan.

PS: I'm pretty interested by your blacksmith skills as well :D