Hi members

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
luuk

Hi members

Post by luuk » 01 May 2015, 21:25

Hi Members,
My name is Luuk.
I am working in radiation detection for a long long time, from 1980 to 1993 for Harshaw in The Netherlands / Germany started in the Germanium department building Ge(Li) and HpGe detectors later testing scintillation detectors and finally ended up in the TLD Thermoluminescent Dosimetry department for repair, training and service world wide.
Since 1993 up till now I am working for Scionix in the Netherlands as test engineer responsible for building, testing and fine tuning scintillation detectors from 1x1mm up to 350Kg large anti Compton systems, I am working with all possible scintillations crystals we have at work.
Do most of my experiments a work because there are the best possible facilities.
Luuk

Sesselmann

Re: Hi members

Post by Sesselmann » 01 May 2015, 21:34

Hi Luuk,

Glad to have you on board. I know you through Karl, I believe you helped him out with a NaI(Tl) detector recently.

You sound like the go to guy for crystal information.

Welcome to the forum..

Steven

luuk

Post by luuk » 01 May 2015, 22:41

Hi Steve,
You are always free to ask me a crystal question, but if I can answer?
But I shall do my best :-)
Yes, I did some work on Karls 3x3"detector some years ago, just for fun of it.
I shall try to be here on the forum on a regular base but I am very busy with a lot of other thing, so I may be away for longer times.
Regards,
Luuk

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 02 May 2015, 00:43

Hi Luuk!

Excellent to have you on board! I am sure many people have questions on what you can/should/can't do with the crystal material yourself. For example, I remember some time ago you posted a time series of what happens with NaI when exposed to the normal humid air. I also remember a more recent comparison of spectra using different scintillation materials.

I know you shared these experiments on the "geiger counter enthusiasts" Yahoo forum. Although that forum has a wealth of information and many users, I feel the Yahoo Neo interface to be utter shit and a real pain to navigate. Therefore, I hope you will share some of those findings, and future ones, also here on this forum!

Yes, my 3x3" NaI(Tl) crystal that Luuk renovated for me is a really interesting story. Perhaps the most surprising thing was how I got the crystal. I emailed a swedish company that sells lots of science stuff, including radiation detectors. I asked for any "junk" that they might have lying around. Sure enough, they had a dead Harshaw 3x3" integral detector that was completely dead. They sent it for free. Indeed, the detector was completely dead and I had no way of getting into the hermetically sealed detector, nor the capacity to handle "raw" NaI crystal. Luuk had these possibilities, and knowledge, and the crystal was found to be intact! After some massage by Luuk, the crystal was re-canned and ready for use! For sure, if Luuks expertise would not have been available the donated detector would really be a paperweight. So thanks Luuk!
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

luuk

Post by luuk » 02 May 2015, 01:31

Hi Karl,

I still have the text and pictures of many test and experiments that I published in the spectrometry group If there is any interest here I am willing to post it here as well, but maybe most of you have seen it already?
Yes NEO is a big pain in the …. So it should be much easier here, although I have to look how it works right here to start a new tread/topic, I am just a newby here .
Luuk

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 02 May 2015, 07:01

Hi Luuk!

I think it would be very interesting and valuable to collect your findings here on this forum also, as you are able to perform experiments which few others can duplicate!

When you get a moment to spare, feel free to start a thread with "Luuk's investigations" in the spectrum forum, it will for sure be a great contribution.

And don't worry about the forum interface. If you get something wrong, I happen to know both moderators on this forum, and they are both very nice and helpful guys. Especially the Swedish one. :)
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

iRad

Post by iRad » 03 May 2015, 12:36

Hi Luuk
Great to find you here. I know everyone can greatly benefit from your many years of experience and extraordinary willingness to be helpful and encouraging to others.
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

Boris

Post by Boris » 08 May 2015, 03:18

Hi Luuk,

Nice to hear from you!

Cheers, Boris.

luuk

Post by luuk » 08 May 2015, 04:06

Hi Boris,
It's been a long time are you still busy no time for the hobby?
Luuk

Boris

Post by Boris » 08 May 2015, 05:31

Yes Luuk, i'm still in the hobby.

Changed Job in August, no longer on the road (better) now work for cardiology in a hospital.
Did some projects and needed the energy, now things get better and i´m more relaxed.
The radio hobby is dead, because I´m an early bird now...and can´t work at night.

The good news is that i´m working 4 days a week, so theoretically I should have more time for some projects.

your crystal is holding up nice by the way...

How are you? still building nice stuff If I look at your posts!

Cheers, Boris.