G'day everyone from John

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
wraith_oz

G'day everyone from John

Post by wraith_oz » 02 May 2015, 21:04

Another one from the old forum. By way of introduction I am retired now and have been so for nearly a year.

I was an industrial chemist once working in the paper industry but have spent the last nearly 40 years in the mining industry (kaolin, tin, gold, diamonds, silver/lead/zinc and copper), initially as a metallurgist and then designing/managing/advising feasibility studies as well as project site construction.

Been interested in things radioactive since high school when I built my first geiger counter (using a Philips 18504 gm tube which I still have).

I've not long finished building a shield for my scintillation detector and then, since I want to try and do some analysis of environmental (low activity) samples which dictates long measurement times, have designed and built an insulated enclosure with temperature control to manage the diurnal temperature variations my setup experiences. I'm very pleased with its performance - it can hold the temperature to within 0.1 - 0.2 Celsius while the ambient varies by 7 - 8 Celsius. It is based on a picaxe datalogger (because I had one on hand) together with DS18B20 temperature sensors and a heater based on two 20 ohm /20 watt resistors in parallel. The shield, heater and sensors sit inside an enclosure made of 75mm polystyrene foam.

Also on the list of things to do are to build probes based on CsI (thanks Luuk) and LYSO (thanks Tom) with both pmts and photodiodes.
John Bell from Central Victoria (Australia)

Setup: GS2812 detector/GS-1100 Pro interface; E-MU204 adc; lead (30mm) shield/ 2.0mm lead-free pewter/0.51mm Cu liners

Sesselmann

Re: G'day everyone from John

Post by Sesselmann » 02 May 2015, 21:54

John,

Thanks for migrating to the new forum, and sharing your efforts, it is just amazing how many clever ideas you guys have come up with to improve your spectra. Stabilizing the temperature at the detector end has always been tricky, but your solution sounds simple, and it would be great if you can make a post on how you did it, so others may be able to replicate it.

Steven

wraith_oz

Post by wraith_oz » 03 May 2015, 07:42

I intend writing it up and have in fact started with a schematic diagram for the electronics using DesignSpark but not having a great deal of experience with it it is proving to be a bit of a challenge to say the least!

By the way, can we post attachments other than images on this forum, pdf for example?

John

Setup: GS2812 detector/GS-1100 Pro interface; E-MU204 adc; lead (30mm) shield/ 2.0mm lead-free pewter/0.51mm Cu liners

Sesselmann

Post by Sesselmann » 03 May 2015, 10:49

John,

That would be great.., and sure, the forum now handles pdf attachments..

Steven

iRad

Post by iRad » 03 May 2015, 12:26

Welcome John!
Let me know if you need any help with the LYSO build. I've had best resolution results using just a single crystal head-on. Of course Luuk says he gets very good resolution also from a small array, but after all, he is Luuk! :)

Cheers, Tom
Cheers, Tom Hall / IRAD INC / Stuart, FL USA
Please check out my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Rad-Lab

luuk

Post by luuk » 03 May 2015, 18:15

Hi John,
Nice to find you here as well.
Luuk

wraith_oz

Post by wraith_oz » 03 May 2015, 19:15

iRad wrote:Welcome John!
Let me know if you need any help with the LYSO build. I've had best resolution results using just a single crystal head-on. Of course Luuk says he gets very good resolution also from a small array, but after all, he is Luuk! :)

Cheers, Tom
Thanks Tom. I'll bear that in mind.

Regards

John

brehwens

Post by brehwens » 04 May 2015, 17:57

Hi John!

Nice to have you here, welcome!

The forum handles essentially any file extension that we could practically want. Should something not be working, just give me or Steven a shout and we'll sort it out. Attachment file size (for the kinds of test reports etc we post) will not be an issue either. So post away!
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV