Hi from Huntsville, AL!

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
drovak

Hi from Huntsville, AL!

Post by drovak » 06 Oct 2019, 14:46

My brother just introduced himself; I'm the EE he mentioned. I've been fascinated by Geiger counters ever since I started collecting civil defense memorabilia in the early 2000s. I remember saving my dollars to buy a NOS CD V-700 still sealed in the cardboard box. Still have it, though a lot has been added to the detector collection since then.

Right now, Precision Radiation Instruments is my main area of interest. Between my brother and I, we've amassed quite a few units, but are still missing several models, including a Super Scintillator.

I've restored several survey meters recently, but have found in several of the scintillators that, unsurprisingly, the NaI(Tl) crystals have gone bad. Looking at replacing the crystals in both my Tower and PRI Special scintillators.

Batteries have been a pain; I'm hoping to adapt strings of 9V and coin cells for the B and C batteries, respectively. I would also like to build some switching supplies that run off of a few 18650s and can feed multiple rails.

Anyways, I hope to share more of my restorations here soon. I know I'll have some questions as well regarding voltage dividers and MCAs in the near future.
Kyle
Huntsville, AL
USA