Hello I'm Paul from South Australia

All new members, your first post should be an introduction here;
Forum rules
Welcome, these forums are for professional and amateur scientists to discuss matters relating to radiation detection, and to facilitate friendly and honest collaboration. It is a requirement for all members to register using their real names and location. If your name has not already been used, feel free to use it as a login handle, otherwise add your name and location to the bottom of your posts as a default signature. Thanks for cooperating.

BUSINESS REGISTRATIONS
If you have a rad related business and want to post information about your products you may do so in the trading post, providing you first introduce your business formally in the introductions forum and add your business details in the signature sections so it is clear to everyone that your post has a commercial purpose.
Paul McK

Hello I'm Paul from South Australia

Post by Paul McK » 29 May 2015, 22:11

Full marks to Steven and Karl for the quality of this forum.

I live in South Australia and am a retired Engineer. I like surf fishing, electronics and our locally made V8 cars.

Earlier this year I found this forum which has enabled me to put together a basic kit.
I have made a Nai(Tl) and a Csi(Tl) probe plus a 4 module 30kg lead castle.
I appreciate this forums wide content and the diverse backgrounds of its members.

regards
Paul McKelliff
Adelaide/ South Australia

Homebrew 2"x 2" NaI(Tl) & smaller CsI(Tl) NaI(Tl) Scintillation detectors
GS1100 PRO & Asus U7 sound card
Homebrew 30kg 4 module lead castle

brehwens

Re: Hello I'm Paul from South Australia

Post by brehwens » 30 May 2015, 04:13

Hi Paul!

Glad to have you aboard!

What locally made V8 cars do you refer to?

I am sure you will be able to do a great deal of things using your probes, seems like good tools to start out with! (but you might discover that you have been bitten by the gamma spec bug, meaning the toy box can quickly become crowded)

Forum credits go to Steven, I am but a humble servant in the maintenance team, a task which is most enjoyable since the forum attracts such a nice crowd!

All the best!

/Karl
Karl Brehwens
Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Setup: 5 cm lead castle, 2mm copper lining. Gamma Spectacular Pro 2002, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1,
Primary detector: Scionix refurbished 2x2" NaI(Tl) well detector, 7.5% @ 662 keV

Sesselmann

Re: Hello I'm Paul from South Australia

Post by Sesselmann » 30 May 2015, 09:46

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the positive feedback.

Will be interesting to see if you find any evidence of fallout in Adelaide. I have read that nuclear tests done in South Australia in the 50's spread quite a bit of fallout over Adelaide. In south Australia you also have Maralinga, where the British found it convenient to test their fire crackers, and if you want to drive your V8 muscle car to the east, you could track down Uranium Hill where the tailings are still hot. Lot's of fun..